Bash this mix: Orginal Rock song live studio mix

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
https://youtu.be/yXl5MhYT5xs?t=17s

Hey Guys,

My band is doing a big dutch band competition and we are with the best 100 for which we had to write a song about freedom.

We had to do this live in the studio (we only retracked the bass guitar, but don't tell anyone...). I had a lot of bleed in the guitar amp mics but otherwise had nice stuff to work with.
I also experimented a bit with limiting, this is the first track I ever used limiting on.

I'm curious for any feedback on this mix. Is it balanced, does it sound professional, how does the room sound in comparison to how it looks etc.

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

On my headphones sounded pretty good. Background vocals should come up a bit more. Rhythm guitar could come down a nudge or two so that the other instruments can be heard. It does sound rather compressed, if you want some more dynamics you may want to raise the threshold on the limiter so it isn't pushing down so often.

Overall sounds good, just a couple of level adjustments and could use some dynamics.

This mix's mother dresses him funny!

Sorry, you asked. :D Could you post an mp3 or audio stream?

Haha, I know I did.

I put up a Youtube link here's another one: https://youtu.be/yXl5MhYT5xs?t=17s that is the wav file.
Which is 80mb so I won't post it here. I can render an mp3 if that is what you mean...

DM60: I think I slightly overdid it on the limiter. I'll have a listen to what it does if I put up the threshold a bit... I noticed that the drums get softer when the vocals kick in, that is probably because of the limiter isn't? Cause I certainly don't play softer everytime the vocalist opens his mouth...

Yeah, bump the BG vox a bit. That's a good harmony and should shine more!

The limiter is pretty blatant. Ease back on that a bit.

The snare sounds really bad, I'm afraid. (Live drums are hard, I know). Can you sweeten it with a sample or something?

Good for a live sound, but the drums do suffer from the small space. Hard to tell if the compression/limiting is happening due to youtube's video compression stuff. The bass needs to come up in the mix, can barely hear it. During the 'lead section' during the latter part of the song, the limiter seems to squash the guitars leaving the drums on their own. In the first 2 verses the highhat seems to be panned way over on the right, but then gets moved more towards the center all of a sudden.

Nice sound for a live recording.

Lead guitar could be featured more at 2:29 and at the very beginning and maybe at 1:31. Rhythm guitar sounds great but you could probably bring it down during some of the vocals to let the vocals be featured a touch more.

Yeah good song and well performed. Mix is pretty good too. My only nit is the snare sounds flat and lifeless like he's hitting a cardboard box with some gravel inside. Otherwise good job

Back