Bad Moon Rising -Final Mix-

mark skinner

Hello , I've been playing around with this for a while but just got it recorded. I've always thought of the song as a pretty "dark" but have only heard rockabilly versions. Anyway .. if you hear something that really needs fixing , I'm all in. I Just did this for fun and the satisfaction.
Thanks .. mark

Love it! Thats how a cover should be done, totally gave the song a Mark A Skinner sound.

If I'd change anything, I'd tone down the hi cymbal and back it off at it's loudest but otherwise really, really good.

Agree about the hi-hat. And your VOX could use just a touch more presence. Noticed the same thing in the following recording.

My guess is, this probably sounds great on your system ;)

@HumanPlanet , I Really appreciate the listen and suggestion! I've actually snuck in a couple of remixes. I put some more highs and presence in the lead vox on the last mix (may need more). On a few listens the high hat was bothering me as well . I couldn't be sure if it was my headphone listen after uploading. Strange .. one time it sounds brittle and the next time it sounds ok. I guess that happens getting too close to a mix and getting used to hearing things that aren't as they should be. I'll definetely address it.
@JAPOV , Thanks for confirming an issue. Yes it sounds decent on my system , but .. I have an off line studio in my barn. I spend most of my time outdoors and when I'm passing by my room I'll give it a listen and change "something" untill I start running out of things that bother me. I probably posted this earlier than I shoud have before the process was done. Thank You. mark

A really different version. Cool creativity on that.

Real good vocal. Good delivery and nice tone.

I like the guitars too - all of them - acoustic/electric/rhythm/lead.

The cymbals are pretty loud and sizzly. Snare and kick sound good.

To me the bass is too low end heavy. Quite a bit so.

Nice one, Mark - I like this as much as the original. Sounds good through the KRKs. Through the iPad (I know, I know), the bass sort of disappears and the hihats are sizzly overpresent. So I got curious and played it through my tracking cans (bass heavy) and my mixing cans (best sound overall). Since it's good through the big monitors and the mixing cans, it's good. Just a good listen of a great tune.

@TripleM , Thanks for the comments. I'm remixing now , It will probably be a few days before I'm finished. I've taken the harshness out of the cymbols , that helped a lot. I've thinned the bottom on the low instrument . It's actually an "electric piano" . I played with low notes for the effect. I'm adding a "not so fat" bass guitar part now. It seems to be helping with the overall sound and feel.
@dobro , I appreciate the evauation with the different devices ! That really helps. When I get the bass guitar done it'll probably come thru better on an ipad or phone. Thanks ..
@DM60 , I appreciate the comment. I do like changing songs up to get a different feel. Yes I think it would be a good pub performance by someone other than me. I don't think they would appreciate all the comping and retakes I have to do to get one done .. :unsure: mark

Hello , I got a remix done this morning. I'm sure (as always) that I'll make some minor changes. I won't bump the song back up if I do. I'm pretty satisfied with it now and going to get away from it for a while..
Thanks to All of you who listened and gave such helpful suggestions and comments. mark

Hello , I've been playing around with this for a while but just got it recorded. I've always thought of the song as a pretty "dark" but have only heard rockabilly versions. Anyway .. if you hear something that really needs fixing , I'm all in. I Just did this for fun and the satisfaction.
Thanks .. mark
Great creative version - IMO everything needs to be tightened up rhythmically - the lead guitar reminds me of Stephen Stills/Graham Nash on the Deja Vu album.

@Serendipity Records , @Ujn Hunter Thanks for the listen and comments ! @Papanate , Thanks .. I used to play in a CSN cover trio. I'll for sure take that as a compliment. Stephen Stills had a pretty big influence on my early playing. I guess some of it stuck. @Manslick I thought of it as pretty ominus , I guess creepy fits in there also . Using low D on the bass helped with the bottom end. Appreciate it .. @TalismanRich I appreciate the comment. You are showing your age , I haven't thought of Vanilla Fudge in decades. :-) Thanks .. mark

Back