Backing Up Sessions - best way?

derekp

I use Reason Studios to record, and I've been wondering about the best way to back up my Reason sessions in the case of a drive dying, computer dying, etc, knock on wood. Typically, I export a good wav of a track to a cloud service, but that's just a mixdown of the track, and not the entire session with all the intricacies, tracks, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a couple of 4TB external USB3 drives. I copy the whole folder with all pertinent files (I use Reaper) from my computer's data drive to one of the back up drives.

That gives me a backup in case of failure, and also in case I screw things up.

My studio computer has 3 internal drives. Programs on C, Work on D, Backups on E. All work gets backed up throughout a session.

I have a couple of 4TB external USB3 drives. I copy the whole folder with all pertinent files (I use Reaper) from my computer's data drive to one of the back up drives.

That gives me a backup in case of failure, and also in case I screw things up.
Great idea. Now that you brought that to mind, I have another large external drive that I bought a few years ago and backed up my current external in case of failure. I'm going to do that. I also am going to add wavs to smaller pen drives and I bought a case for carrying them. Thanks.

I've been using a NAS drive for over a year now and I'm very impressed - you get the error checking facility, but every computer constantly syncs so you record on your machine and the files go to the drive, over the network, and then they're all on the drive of my other studio computer a mile away within a short period of time - never lost a file since I started - and the backing up is seamless. I'm away at the moment and the terribly slow internet is messing it up a bit, but I can download specific files if I need them, as it detects the slow internet connection and doesn't try to sync the drives. It was simple to configure (automatic, actually) - you get the options of what drives to buy and install and I no longer need to think about backing up my cubase sessions and the actual files it creates - the folder just magically appears elsewhere.

The one I bought was a synology - a 220 from memory.

I do the same as Rich, I have a few USB drives, and just copy my (Reaper) folders over to them. I also save my VST folders so I don't lose any saved presets.

I have multiple mirrored hard drives in my computer and use AOMEI Backupper to back up my Reaper folders, Izotope folders and essential computer files to the other drives daily. If the main drive craters, I simply go in the bios and switch drives and pickup where I left off. I also have an external SSD that I mirror the main computer drive to periodically.

I have been archiving projects on DVDs for ever. I can open projects I did 20 years ago.

Back