AV connector oddity

ecc83

I don't know if some of you eff about with TVs and AV gear but I do in a domestic scene.

My new TCL 50" smart TV only has 3 HDMI inputs (about the limit for most) and I really needed another input so I bought an AV adapter which consists of a 4 pole 3.5mm jack plug to 3 RCA line sockets, red, white and yellow. As I had done times before I took a feed from a recorder. L&R on white and red and video on yellow. No sound. No picture.

I tried a second cable this time Scart to RCA, still no joy. Had Amazon sent me a shronky adapter? I looked up the pinouts....BINGO! The adapter was fine for Sony TVs and most other brands but my TCL is different. I had to interchange red and yellow!

Sorted. perfect sound and pictures. In 50 + years of messing with AV kit, never had that problem.

Dave.

Just yesterday I saw an illustration of different 3.5 mm TRRS connectors. One had the ground on the sleeve and another had the ground on the ring nearest the sleeve. I think it was an Apple vs. everyone else thing.

Just yesterday I saw an illustration of different 3.5 mm TRRS connectors. One had the ground on the sleeve and another had the ground on the ring nearest the sleeve. I think it was an Apple vs. everyone else thing.
I have always avoided any and everything to do with Apple. Many years ago my son installed iTunes on our music desktop and it caused all sorts of trouble. I think I had to format and re install XP to get shot of it?

Dave.

Back