Audio cutting in and out using my scarlett solo

sloothbag

Hi guys,

So I don't really know much about technology so let me know if I've missed any important details or something doesn't make sense. I've recently been using my Rode NT1A mic along with my focusrite scarlett solo to record vocals on cubase. I've had issues with drivers before but I'm pretty sure I've sorted that out. However, when recording something today, listening back I realised the audio would be loud, then go quieter and then completely cut on in cycles. I can't figure out if it's a problem with the microphone, the cable or if the jack converter for my headphones is faulty. The converter is a little loose at the top but this shouldn't be affecting the actual recording right?
Edit: can't seem to attach the file for some reason, how frustrating. Wanted to drop it as a google drive link instead but I'm too new ;(

Hi sloothbag.....and welcome to the forum. Does this happen only on playback? Can you hear it occur in your headphones when you're just setting up....speaking into it........moving the mic and cables around? Is this occurring with monitors and headphones? Are you able to substitute the cable and mic? What are you referring to when you say the "converter is loose at the top"??

What he says ^^^

There's not quite enough information.

So do some tests

1 does it happen whne you play other media (e.g. youtube)
2 all the things Mickster said.

Hi guys,

So I don't really know much about technology so let me know if I've missed any important details or something doesn't make sense. I've recently been using my Rode NT1A mic along with my focusrite scarlett solo to record vocals on cubase. I've had issues with drivers before but I'm pretty sure I've sorted that out. However, when recording something today, listening back I realised the audio would be loud, then go quieter and then completely cut on in cycles. I can't figure out if it's a problem with the microphone, the cable or if the jack converter for my headphones is faulty. The converter is a little loose at the top but this shouldn't be affecting the actual recording right?
Edit: can't seem to attach the file for some reason, how frustrating. Wanted to drop it as a google drive link instead but I'm too new ;(

it may be your CPU is spiking, while playing back a project, hit F12 which will bring up the performance meter where you can monitor the loads on the system. I have had popping and dropout because of too many plugins.

Hi sloothbag.....and welcome to the forum. Does this happen only on playback? Can you hear it occur in your headphones when you're just setting up....speaking into it........moving the mic and cables around? Is this occurring with monitors and headphones? Are you able to substitute the cable and mic? What are you referring to when you say the "converter is loose at the top"??

Sorry, after reading my post again I've realised how vague I have been. When I record I see the audio waves indicating that it is being captured fine. When I'm talking about the adaptor I mean the 6.35mm to 3.5mm that allows me to plug in my headphones. The bit at the top of it is loose. Other audio I can hear normally. What I'm confused about is if it is the headphones that are the issue, shouldn't the actual audio file be fine? Because I've exported it to my phone where it sounds the same. Or can the headphones cause an issue with the recording? I do not currently have a different mic or cable but I can buy a replacement cable to see if that fixes the issue. The only thing that has really changed since I've started recording is the jack adaptor which was making me think that is the problem.

What does your wav look like AFTER recording?
What do you mean when you exported it to your phone it sounds the same.........good or bad?
What audio interface are you using?
What mic are you using?
Without knowing what AI you're using I can't say for sure that the headphone jack could be the issue........but I doubt it.

Ok...well IMO it looks like it could be some sort of issue with your mic or cable / connection either at the mic itself or the AI. Just looking at a wav can be difficult to determine an issue......since you don't have complete dropouts.......especially if you're looking at it on a small screen.

The likelihood that it's the loose headphone jack is possible.......if by some design issue with the AI contact with part of the jack internally is causing some problem. It's possible I guess. If it's loose and there's no outside "ring" nut to keep it tight......it's possible that the jack is secured as part of a circuit board and could have damaged the board in some way.

If the wav on the screen has no gaps or obvious level changes, the fault is in the replay stages. Confirm it by bringing a .wav or .mp3 file into the timeline - see if it's the same - then look for problems between the audio output of your device and the spakers/headphones. Sockets and cables seem likely.

When I'm talking about the adaptor I mean the 6.35mm to 3.5mm that allows me to plug in my headphones. The bit at the top of it is loose.

If any part of the adapter is loose just toss it in the bin and pick up a new one.
If the tip comes off and gets stuck in the socket it's a real pain to get out.

Back