Audient id14mkii max input level?

Rockis.

Microphone preamplifier
GAIN RANGE:58dB
LINEUP:12dBu = 0dBFS
MIC MAX INPUT LEVEL:12dBu
MAX INPUT LEVEL:21dBu
This is its mic pre input spec.
What is the difference between ‘MIC MAX INPUT LEVEL’ and ‘MAX INPUT LEVEL’ here?
The max input level(21dbu) is just the sum of Mic max input level(12dbu) and its minimum gain?
So It means the preamp’s minimum gain is 9db?

Then i think its headroom should be 17db.
But the LINEUP is 12dbu=0dbfs and it means it has just 8db headroom?
This is so confusing to me. Help me understand this

Forget about absolute gain when you are talking about an audio interface because there is no output apart from the digital output going into the computer. Audient sensibly quote gain range which means that the highest gain is 58dB higher than the lowest gain. It doesn't matter whether that gain is 80dB or 40dB provided it feeds the ADC with what it needs for a good conversion.

The difference between ‘MIC MAX INPUT LEVEL’ and ‘MAX INPUT LEVEL’ is that the first is the maximum input you can feed to the mic input at minimum gain before hitting full scale and the other is the maximum input level that you can feed the line input. So, if your studio is using a nominal level of +4dBu, you have 17dB of headroom above that at the line input.

Forget about absolute gain when you are talking about an audio interface because there is no output apart from the digital output going into the computer. Audient sensibly quote gain range which means that the highest gain is 58dB higher than the lowest gain. It doesn't matter whether that gain is 80dB or 40dB provided it feeds the ADC with what it needs for a good conversion.

The difference between ‘MIC MAX INPUT LEVEL’ and ‘MAX INPUT LEVEL’ is that the first is the maximum input you can feed to the mic input at minimum gain before hitting full scale and the other is the maximum input level that you can feed the line input. So, if your studio is using a nominal level of +4dBu, you have 17dB of headroom above that at the line input.

Both ‘max mic input level’ and just ‘max input level’ are written at same mic pre section if you see the website.
I’m thinking the ‘max input level’ is the increased mic level to line level by adding gain.
21-12=9. So the minimum gain is +9db and the gain range is +9~+67db. And it has 17db headroom. All these are right? (Please tell me if i’m wrong)

But maybe, what really make me confused is the ‘LINE UP’ part there. It seems the mic input of this interface has just 8db headroom. I’m thinking it has 17db headroom.
Confusing…

Both ‘max mic input level’ and just ‘max input level’ are written at same mic pre section if you see the website.

If you check the manual you will see that the section refers to both the mic and line input. Something has gone astray in copying the spec to the website. So the explanation is as I said above.

And as I said above, you cannot say anything about the actual preamp gain because it is meaningless for an audio interface. It only has meaning if the preamp has a directly connected analogue output.

I think its a typo, the Mic Max is clear,....but instead of printing LINE INPUT MAX it only says INPUT Max....

The unit uses the same hardware port for Mic and Line. A Mic signal would be less while a Line In would be more, so the design of a Mic IN expecting a smaller signal, and Line In expecting a louder signal. So a Line IN voltage to a Mic IN would overload the circuit...so the spec is saying keep the Mic Max to 12dbu! and the line input to max 21 dbu! ....so dont plug the output speaker of your Marshall tube amp into either!! You could plug your Microphone small signal into a Line Input but its not ideal at all.

Makes sense then theres a "typo" Im thinking....they just didnt include LINE INPUT MAX...

just my guess?

I think its a typo, the Mic Max is clear,....but instead of printing LINE INPUT MAX it only says INPUT Max....

The unit uses the same hardware port for Mic and Line. A Mic signal would be less while a Line In would be more, so the design of a Mic IN expecting a smaller signal, and Line In expecting a louder signal. So a Line IN voltage to a Mic IN would overload the circuit...so the spec is saying keep the Mic Max to 12dbu! and the line input to max 21 dbu! ....so dont plug the output speaker of your Marshall tube amp into either!! You could plug your Microphone small signal into a Line Input but its not ideal at all.

Makes sense then theres a "typo" Im thinking....they just didnt include LINE INPUT MAX...

just my guess?
Ah if it is just a typo, i think all you said makes sense.
As james said, I think they made some confusion(?) in their website.
In the manual, they typed it as ‘microphone/line input’. but in website tech spec page, it is written as just ‘mic preamplifier’. I finally found this…

Anyways, can u guess what is that ‘lineup: 12dbu=0dbfs’ part too?
Now I’m guessing the ‘line up’ part is indicating for increased microphone level till line level. If so, the minimum gain would be ‘+0db’. And maximum gain would be +58db. And its headroom would be just 8db. I think this makes sense more for this price range product.
James said knowing minimum gain in interface is not meaningful but i just want to know if what i’m thinking is right as a knowledge…
How do you think about this?

Last edited:
Back