AT2020 Big inquiry

shapesbbq

Okay I'm going to go into major depth in comparison to my first post on this forum. For those unaware, for the purpose of context and convenience, my previous post (https://homerecording.com/bbs/threads/at2020-not-showing-on-pc.412813) aimed at inquiring about why my setup involving this list of items:
-AT2020 condenser microphone
-Behringer PS400 Phantom PSU
-XLR female to 3.5mm
-XLR female to male (typical cable)
Wasn't working on my computer when trying to plug it in. After testing a plethora of audio jacks located at the back of my B450 Tomohawk motherboard, including plugging it into a USB to microphone/headphone splitter (made by logitech, dont know if it has any influence), I would determine that the setup was just incapable of working.
After asking about if there were any possibilites to making my current setup function properly, I was told that an audio interface was problematically essential to running condenser microphones, let alone plugging them into a PC or laptop.
So, my questions are as follows:
1. In my previous post I asked about whether or not a USB card such as a Sabrent USB would do anything for me at all. Assuming I were to change nothing about my setup and I were to grab said USB card, would anyone be able to tell me (perhaps through their own knowledge) if it would recognise an input on my pc.
2. Again, on my previous post, I was informed about this type of audio interface:
https://www.modernmusician.com.au/behringer-umc202hd
At most I'm willing to spend an extra 150 dollars on an audio interface, but this is obviously something I would do as a last resort. Assuming I am to purchase one, would this work with any of the current parts I have and could someone redirect me to a video showing evidence that it would work with a PC.
Hopefully this post provides more detail to my situation, and I do hope that I can find a resolution soon.

You have a number of separate elements conspiring against you.
The 3.5mm connector on your computer is OK for chat with a headset or other device but there's a problem with how they work. You have three conductors - the ground for the return path and screening, the mic audio - in an unbalanced format and power, usually 5V with respect to the ground. The wiring of the XLR to the 3.5mm plug could be wrong - maybe the audio is on the circuit with the power? Leaving the audio going nowhere.

The Audio Technica is a mic that needs the 48V phantom power at the design current. The Behringer power supply is actually capable of 36V when used with a 12V power supply - I understand it uses a simple triple circuit, so the voltage is a little less - I don't know if the mic just gets a bit noisier (the usual result of lower voltage) or if it just gives up.

To find out which scenario (or both!) apply - you will need to substitute devices. Find any old dynamic mic and swap it with the AT. If you get audio, then the cabling is good, and you identified the mic as needing more voltage than you have available - just an unhappy accident. If swapping the mic still results in silence - it's looking like cabling, so try another computer. This will tell you if it is your computer input either faulty (unlikely) or switched off in the routing somewhere.

A good test is to plug in a plug, with the cover off, and with it in record mode gently tap the three connections on the plug - one should make a loud buzzing. No bussing at all, and the socket is not connected.

Try these ideas and you will know where to look!

Okay I'm going to go into major depth in comparison to my first post on this forum. For those unaware, for the purpose of context and convenience, my previous post (https://homerecording.com/bbs/threads/at2020-not-showing-on-pc.412813) aimed at inquiring about why my setup involving this list of items:
-XLR female to 3.5mm
Wasn't working on my computer when trying to plug it in. After testing a plethora of audio jacks located at the back of my B450 Tomohawk motherboard, including plugging it into a USB to microphone/headphone splitter (made by logitech, dont know if it has any influence), I would determine that the setup was just incapable of working.
After asking about if there were any possibilites to making my current setup function properly, I was told that an audio interface was problematically essential to running condenser microphones, let alone plugging them into a PC or laptop.
So, my questions are as follows:
1. In my previous post I asked about whether or not a USB card such as a Sabrent USB would do anything for me at all. Assuming I were to change nothing about my setup and I were to grab said USB card, would anyone be able to tell me (perhaps through their own knowledge) if it would recognise an input on my pc.
2. Again, on my previous post, I was informed about this type of audio interface:
https://www.modernmusician.com.au/behringer-umc202hd
At most I'm willing to spend an extra 150 dollars on an audio interface, but this is obviously something I would do as a last resort. Assuming I am to purchase one, would this work with any of the current parts I have and could someone redirect me to a video showing evidence that it would work with a PC.
Hopefully this post provides more detail to my situation, and I do hope that I can find a resolution soon.
You don't need the PS400 at all if you get an interface that supplies phantom power. I would return that device if you are still able, or try to trade it in, or perhaps unload it on eBay, whatever you have. It was a mistake for your purposes. It is intended to use, primarily with a condenser microphone that you want to plug into a (XLR, balanced) microphone input that does not provide phantom power, like you might find on an old PA head, even a Bose "Compact" model, or perhaps a small acoustic guitar amp. It was never intended for use with the 3.5mm headset input on a PC. (Though, no doubt, some folks do rig up something that works.)

The one recommended in the earlier thread has been around for some time now and used by a lot of people on all manner of PCs. I did a quick search and there are interfaces available in OZ for $150 that have phantom power. Lower priced models, like the Behringer UM2, may be hard to find, because there are still holes in everyone's inventory due to the pandemic. (First, *everyone* had to be able to get on-line suddenly, so the lowest price pieces sold out immediately, and then "supply chain" woes reared up, and we are still dealing with that.)

Find a couple that are in stock, and read reviews. Make sure the manufacturer had software downloads, which likely includes drivers, for your current version of Windows. Search YouTube, but I would include the keywords like "Windows 10" or whatever version of the operating system you are running, and the specific model interface to confirm you see it working. Popular brands include Behringer, Presonus, Steinberg, Focusrite, Motu, et al, though I did not confirm these are all available in your region.

Good luck.

-XLR female to 3.5mm
Wasn't working on my computer when trying to plug it in.
A very convoluted setup to say the least. Just get a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 USB device ($39 new / $20 used) and be done with it.

Back