AT 2020 too much Bright?

Chuku

I tried to capture some acoustic stuffs and AT-2020 sounded too much bright . (May be because of my untreated room?). Well, so i came up with an idea and i lightly wrapped the microphone with a cotton cloth 2-3 times around it.
Then to my surprise, I got better balanced and warm tone, not too bright and not too mellow (not the exact tone i wanted but it was very good than having crappy sound). :guitar:
Have anyone tried these kind of hacks or any other hacks that have solved your problem partially or fully?
I just wanted to share my experience. If someone is facing the similar problem, try it - you gonna like it ;)

Cheers!!

Chuku

Hey Chuku,
It may well be the room, as you suggested, or it could just be the mic.
Cheaper condensers are known for being bright/brittle/harsh.

One 'trick' is to turn it off axis slightly as a frequency response isn't going to be even at different points on the pattern.
You could try singing/playing at a 45 degree angle to the mic, for example.

What you've done makes me think of the guys who hung tissue paper over their ns10 tweeters.

I never noticed it that much but I've read that a lot of people don't like using the foam heads on the sm7b and mics like that because they feel it tames the high end.
Makes sense.

I was gonna mention the tissue over the ns10 tweeters but Steenamaroo beat me to it. I haven't tried tricks quite that creative but I'm sure I'll try it!

Back