Arturia Beatstep help (before purchasing)

Alexa S

Hello there!

So I'm back with another silly question about this new piece of equipment. I say silly, because I have googled it and haven't found any answers so I guess it's a non issue.

I was looking for a midi pad controller to use for recording drums and was going to buy the AKAI LPD8 but I found this little Arturia thingie and fell in love with the step sequencer feature. What I don't get though ( and please don't make fun of me, this stuff is completely new to me) is if I can use a different sound on the sequencer. I mean, all the reviews have the same sound (you cand tweak it, alot, but it's the same sound). What I would like to do, besides programing notes and scales, is use the sequencer for something like a strings sound, or synth marimba, or piano or even drums when I'm recording through my Cubase or Abledon (haven't decided which one I'm gonna use yet). To better explain it, can I make te sequencer "play" a different instrument. I mean just the sequencer, I know that the midi controller part can be programed in any way possible. I understand that it's an analog sequencer, but I don't actually know what that means.
Anyway, I would appreciate some non ironic help, although I have I feeling I'm making a fool of myself here.
Many thankies and good vibrations to y'all :)

Hello there!

So I'm back with another silly question about this new piece of equipment. I say silly, because I have googled it and haven't found any answers so I guess it's a non issue.

I was looking for a midi pad controller to use for recording drums and was going to buy the AKAI LPD8 but I found this little Arturia thingie and fell in love with the step sequencer feature. What I don't get though ( and please don't make fun of me, this stuff is completely new to me) is if I can use a different sound on the sequencer. I mean, all the reviews have the same sound (you cand tweak it, alot, but it's the same sound). What I would like to do, besides programing notes and scales, is use the sequencer for something like a strings sound, or synth marimba, or piano or even drums when I'm recording through my Cubase or Abledon (haven't decided which one I'm gonna use yet). To better explain it, can I make te sequencer "play" a different instrument. I mean just the sequencer, I know that the midi controller part can be programed in any way possible. I understand that it's an analog sequencer, but I don't actually know what that means.
Anyway, I would appreciate some non ironic help, although I have I feeling I'm making a fool of myself here.
Many thankies and good vibrations to y'all :)

I suggest getting a keyboard controller for the musical instruments and use this or a drum pad for drums. The limited pads on a controller/drum pad you will not like. You can pick up a keyboard controller pretty cheap or get it used.

Thank you, but that is not what I asked. I have a keyboard controller and I plan to use this for drums like I said in the original post. But I want to understand how that analog sequencer feature works and if I can use it for instruments also. I don't know how to better explain it. Can I sequence other instruments/sounds than the one it comes with and the one that seems to be used in all the reviews and demos. That is in adition to using the keyboard controller.
Still, would appreciate if anyone could clear that up for me. :)
Thank you

Back