Article : Microphones for miking your amp

A subject dear to my heart. I have a couple of combo's I have gravitated to over the years. I like a Royer R10 and a an MD441 or a SM57 I took the transformer out of. Only one mic? The Royer.

Over the years, it's been a journey of trial and error and while I've never used a ribbon mic, I have found that both dynamics and condensers do the job. I've never used a SM57 but I frequently use an SM58 and I like what it does.
That all said though, I am a home recorder that is of the opinion that any mic can be used to record any source. There's a certain gritty shitty electric guitar tone that can be nabbed using a headphone as a mic. You may only use it on 2 songs you'll ever do, but the sound is unique.
Also, one to file away in the back of one's mind for future use ~ playing a6 or 12-string electric guitar without an amp or sim and recording it as an almost acoustic. Great sound, if you like that kind of thing ~ which I do.

"Also, one to file away in the back of one's mind for future use ~ playing a6 or 12-string electric guitar without an amp or sim and recording it as an almost acoustic. Great sound, if you like that kind of thing ~ which I do."

Funny you should say that Grim'! A couple of weeks ago I was Skyping my son and he held up his Tele clone to the USB mic he uses and did a quick 'country' lick. It sounded pretty bloody good!
I am now going to email him (he in France) and ask him to repeat and record the exercise, maybe with his Ricky 303 as well. If I can convince him to do it I shall post the clips.

Dave.

That was a bit of a useless article, a fluff piece. Essentially, you can use a ribbon, a condenser or a dynamic mic. There really wasn't much in the way of specifics.

50 years ago, you had a limited number of mics from which to choose. You probably stuck a 57 or a 421 on the amp and hit record. Maybe if you had a big studio, you might use a ribbon or condenser. Today there are a 500 different condenser mics, 500 dynamic mics, and 100 ribbon mics available. Everybody has 15 or 20 mics! LDC, SDC, passive vs active, tube or FET. It saturation city... too many choices!

Play with the ones in your mic drawer, pick the setup you like and stick with it.

Everybody has 15 or 20 mics!
I have 13 ! And 7 of those are 2 sets of drum mics.
saturation city... too many choices!
I kind of agree with this, yet, when one reads through what was being used even in the 1960s, there was a huge choice of mics.
Play with the ones in your mic drawer, pick the setup you like and stick with it.
I agree. I also find that even with 13 microphones, {9 dynamic, 4 condenser}, the scope of combinations and positions is ridiculously high !

SM7b or SM57 on the grill here,
maybe even a blanket tossed over the amp and mic too.... keep it simple.
anything to keep the room reflections out...
its a 8x12x8 drywall room these days, not an AIR studios cathedral room with sounds to salivate over an capture, no...drywall with a drumset sitting 2ft away, and a glass window so thin I can hear people talking when they walk by outside.... it was fixed up nice years ago but the nagging ex wouldnt have it.
I got some nice headphones for her, not a bad trade.

funny hendrix .., read in one of his books he played some track so loud the control room couldnt hear their monitors..lol
maybe folklore? or was it true? I wasnt there. I didnt know Kramer used a ROYER on his amps though.

a magazine article writer wrote "so many famous guitar tracks done with a sm57, why am I even doing this comparison test?" :)

Attached are some clips son has sent me. The USB mic clips don't sound as good as I remembered and I much prefer the Tele DI into a MOTU M4.
Y'all mmv!

Dave.

Attachments

• Tele close Mic.mp3
    1.4 MB
  • Rickenbacker close mic(1).mp3
    1.5 MB
  • Tele D.I'd.mp3
    752.2 KB
  • Rickenbacker close mic.mp3
    1.5 MB
Also, one to file away in the back of one's mind for future use ~ playing a6 or 12-string electric guitar without an amp or sim and recording it as an almost acoustic. Great sound, if you like that kind of thing ~ which I do.
that's interesting because I have one solid body electric in particular that has a great acoustic sound and I have recorded it without an amp and it sounded excellent.

Once more I go old school. Early on I asked someone in the know...... what mic is used on guitars? The answer was Shure SM 57
Been using that ever since.

I don't play hard rock, so my amps are a Fender Rumble for my bass and a small Crate for my acoustic-electric guitar.

My ribbon mics really sing when picking up cabinets. I don't need aggressive highs, rather a mellower sound, and the ribbon is sweet on the ears for that purpose.

C.

Back