Anyone using an A-2 for mixing down?

TASCAM MAN

Hello there my friends ,I was just wondering if anyone has/is using an A-2 for mixing down to. I bought one along with its big brother A-8
years ago as a perfectly matching pair but have never really put them thru the test.Ive recently took them out of storage which was not in an attic are hot storage room and they both were working fine.Now Im really interested in doing a stereo mix to the A-2 and noticed it has 2 speeds Im assuming are 7 1/2 or 15IPS)just says faste/slow on the machine. Also i noticed the A-8 has dolby C and the A-2 shows no dolby so.....I assume the noise specs must be pretty good at the high speed without dolby right? Of course Id love to hear from people that has used it(the A-2 mainly) and with good results but i will definately be doing a mix to it very soon.......thanks !! :)

Last edited:
Nice pair. Here is the manual: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/pdfs/a2_owners_manual.pdf

I picked up an A-8 not too long ago , not a lot of wear. Haven't seen an A-2, but I'd assume that a 1/4" 1/2 track would do OK w/o onboard NR, same as the Otari or Tascam 32, Teac 22-2 etc.

YUP, I recorded a little piece of music (from a CD Im familiar with) to the Fostex A-8 at 15 IPS with great results !!! I think the roll of tape thats on it is Quantegy 499....not sure but NO shedding whatsoever and i even have the choice of using the either the sync head are the repro head. The sync head sounds a little clearer to me,but the the playback levels on either head are perfect. Not bad for this machine bought off of e-bay like say about...6 are 7 yrs. ago and has been in storage for about 5 yrs. now huh!!?!!!?!!!:drunk:

Last edited:
Back