Anyone use on of these to mount a mic in a bass drum?

My drummer has his dw kit internally miced. It's cool for shows but it's a pain for recording and I don't really like the sound recorded.

I agree with the above. I have drums from DW that came mic'd from the factory, meh. I too. do not like the coupling of the mic to the structure of the drum. Im ready for some SHu's for the bass drums, looks like a solid idea (no pun intended). Also tired of people bumping into the mini booms on the kicks.

I agree that a mic that is somehow mounted to a shell will pick up some vibrations - which may not be a worst case scenario for live application, but it can be a probelm in the studio. While stands pose certain challenges - I prefer stands as that normally allow the most fexibility if getting precise placement.

Many years ago,(before the various mic mounting devices were on the market) I used an internal micing system that I jury rigged (It was not my originally idea - I "borrowed" the idea from a friend). I took pieces of inner tube which I could stretch from one side of the drum shell to the other. I secured the inner tube to the inside of the drum shell using the lug mounting. I then cut a slit in the inner tube and mounted mics (at the time SM57s) into the slits. It worked rather well on the kick but was less effective on the toms (but was preferrable to hauling and setting up multiple mic stands). The inner tube did not tranfer the shell vibration to the mic - but the mic placment was not flexible.

Naturally, their are now many types of rim mounts, mic stands designed for kick drums, etc. - but I think for the right person and the right application - the poor man's mounting system could work and is a low cost, minimum effort approach.

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess having a permanent installation of a mic with good sound quality is just too good to be true.

Back