Anyone own a zoomr8?

I used a tascam digital 4 track and really liked it, especially not being able to master a computer program and having all the perfect gear even though I am ok with abelton but I don't like it. The fucking thing broke when I lived in Portland and moved back.

I gambled purchasing that tascam688 back in 2020 pandemic and the head only allows me to record as a 4 track because I am having signal issues I rather not get into why, but I don't like it anymore because it's only a 4 track and not a working 8 track like I intended.

So I got a zoomr8 and when I plug the headphones in I can't hear anything!!!

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I had a one year warranty on the zoomr8 and they shipped me another one and I am having the same issue with it. I plug the headphones in and make the tracks live and it's just muffled, when I turn the volume up its really distorted. WTF am I doing wrong? the tascam688 and my broken tascam 4 track or DP006 or whatever it was called the headphones, you could actually hear what you were planning to record. I know it's 2022 but it had really put a damper on my recording plans when I am not getting what I want. I don't know who to blame, i'm obviously not as cool as those portland musicians but damn. I just wish I could hear through the headphones so I can make some stupid 8 track songs.

I am frustrated and I am thinking of giving up music to be an actor. At least I got the politics right.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the R8 works the same as my R24. You set the record level with the gain control. The channel siders don't affect the recording.

However for monitoring, you have to raise the channel sliders, master slider, and the phones volume on the back. Set your channel volume around 0, bring the master fader up to the same, and if you aren't getting any red overload indicators, then you should be able to set your headphone volume to a comfortable level with the volume knob on the back.

If you are doing multitracks, you can set your rough mix with the channel faders, then adjust the master and headphone volumes.

Which headphones are you using? I use AKG240s, Sony 7506s and Senn 280HDs. All drive with adequate volume. The only issue might be if you are using something like the Beyer DT770 250ohm version. The 80 ohm versions would be easier to drive.

Last edited:
Back