Any One About Cymatic Audio LR-16?

DM60

I was looking on Sweetwater and saw this Cymatic Audio LR-16 Live Recorder

What is interesting is the 16 line input. I am wanting to start going out and recording live. I am thinking 16 inputs would be more than what I need.

If anyone has any information.

Looks neat, remember that it is 16 line inputs so you will need a mixer with direct outs or 16 mic pres to convert the mics to line. I would think that it would do what it is designed to do well but I don't think it will be good for editing or mixing as the idea is you transfer the files to something else. Gee things are getting cheap, something like this would have been $10,000 not too long ago.

Alan.

Just remember that with digital consoles, you may have a difficult time hooking it up as many of them don't have TRS direct outs like the old analogue consoles do. If they do they're often digital. If you plan on recording in a lot of places with analogue consoles, great. Also just get the longest balanced TRS looms you can get. I would get two eight or ten foot eight-channel snakes made just to be sure you can reach the back of the console.

Cheers :)

The best way to record live gigs is to have your own console or preamp rack and to take a split from the XLR inputs on stage. That way you use the stage mics and di's but you have full control over the levels, no added eq or rack gear inserts going to the recorder, you also have minimal interference to the venue PA system. There are plenty of cheap small analog studio consoles with direct outs floating around the second hand market that when paired up with this recorder would make a neat mobile recording rig.

I did a little more investigation, this thing actually hooks up to the board inserts and requires the double 1/4" cable (return/send).

But this would be pretty good to go out and capture a live setting, just this, cables and a USB drive.

Back