any beat makers sell beats and have insurance

underthesky

im in the process of setting up my beats website for selling beats/productions, i was looking into business insurance, and man is it expensive, im just starting out, does any beat makers/producers have business insurance and could tell me how they managed to handle it, i was talking to a few companies and the insurance premiums for my type of business was about 2500 to 5000 dollars. i always read up on other producers and read a few ebooks but they never mention this kind of stuff

im in the process of setting up my beats website for selling beats/productions, i was looking into business insurance, and man is it expensive, im just starting out, does any beat makers/producers have business insurance and could tell me how they managed to handle it, i was talking to a few companies and the insurance premiums for my type of business was about 2500 to 5000 dollars. i always read up on other producers and read a few ebooks but they never mention this kind of stuff

Moving this thread to the marketing section.

Why do you need business insurance??

What are you insuring yourself against? My studio is insured against theft, fire etc... and liability for people falling down or hurting themselves on my property. But if you are sitting in a spare room making beats by yourself, what do you need to insure?

well when i spoke to an agent he was saying that i would need some type of media liability and copyright infringement or something like that, he was saying that if someone makes a claim that i ripped there song or something like that. i would need coverage for that and all. and also because my transactions are going to be through paypal, they were saying that i dont need the coverage in case my site gets hacked and my customers credit card info is exposed. i dont have a full out studio and i dont care right now for insuring my computer and stuff. i don't have alot of stuff anyway s.

Media liability??? :confused: Register your songs with the copyright office in your country and you have protection against someone claiming you ripped them off. As long as you didn't rip them off.

You should buy the most expensive insurance you can afford so you are fully protected. Your beats will easily pay or that and have peace of mind.

I can understand it, but I hear a lot of popular songs with similar drum rhythms for that genre. They can't all be actionable in court.

Copyright infringement insurance? Is that even a real thing? Sounds like bs to me..

Right up there with the Biblical money code. Just send me $19.95 and I'll teach you all the secrets of making millions from secrets contained in verses throughout the bible. :laughings:

Amazing how many people eat that stuff up..

It's beats! Beats is serious bidness!

hahahahahah

Under the sky, don't count your chickens before they hatch. You should probably focus on getting your website up and pray that people start buying your shit before worrying about insurance.

well when i spoke to an agent he was saying that i would need some type of media liability and copyright infringement or something like that, he was saying that if someone makes a claim that i ripped there song or something like that. i would need coverage for that and all. and also because my transactions are going to be through paypal, they were saying that i dont need the coverage in case my site gets hacked and my customers credit card info is exposed. i dont have a full out studio and i dont care right now for insuring my computer and stuff. i don't have alot of stuff anyway s.

If your transactions are going through PayPal, PCI requirements (in the USA) say that you shouldn't be holding onto ANY user payment data. You shouldn't even accept or process it. All payment data should be entered on PayPal's side, and PP will send you a payment notification so you know you were paid. If you've got a credit card form on your website, you need to be worried about VISA suing you (and I doubt insurance would cover that)

As to being sued for copyright infringement, you're probably better off hiring a lawyer to help you write up and read license agreements so you don't get sued in the first place.

Copyright infringement insurance? If that existed, why did none of the bands like Led Zeppelin or NWA employ it before their costly court battles?

Back