Another whacky setup... suggestions!

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
I'm recording a band soon.
They've got 9 people and they want to do a lot of it live. Country music.
Three singers. I want them to all sing into the same microphone. I've got a nice U87.
The problem is that all three singers also play instruments (guitar, dobro and banjo, respectively) and I haven't made good experiences with the U87 in crowded rooms.

Any kind of microphone technique that I would benefit from? 3 guys, 3 instruments, 1 mic and I need minimum instrument bleed.

If you are recording a 9 piece live band in a room with a condenser mic, or any live mics, there will be bleed. but that isn't bad, persay. I say just let them do their thing. Back in the day, bands played live in the studio and there was bleed all over the place. But a lot of the recordings still sound great. I remember reading about how the Everly Brothers recorded in the 50s, with both Don and Phil singing into one mic. If one of them wanted to be louder, they would stand closer. If Don wanted more of his guitar, he would lift it closer to the mic. the rest of the musicians would be playing live in the same room. There was little isolation. You know what? Those old recordings still sound better than many of the "well recorded" stuff being put out nowadays.

I've done this before with country (only two singers though) - getting them to sing after they do the instrumental has proved to be the most usable, but it's not the only way.

If you are recording a 9 piece live band in a room with a condenser mic, or any live mics, there will be bleed. but that isn't bad, persay. I say just let them do their thing. Back in the day, bands played live in the studio and there was bleed all over the place. But a lot of the recordings still sound great. I remember reading about how the Everly Brothers recorded in the 50s, with both Don and Phil singing into one mic. If one of them wanted to be louder, they would stand closer. If Don wanted more of his guitar, he would lift it closer to the mic. the rest of the musicians would be playing live in the same room. There was little isolation. You know what? Those old recordings still sound better than many of the "well recorded" stuff being put out nowadays.

Things were done a lot differently back then because the equipment's capability was limited - in the case of hte Everly Brothers, mono (single track) recording.

We did it yesterday.
We ended up using a few 57s and 57 Betas on some instruments we didn't want to just because their rejection is superior to any condensor. You'd think that they were the only person the room if you solo'd the microphone.
The vocals were all condensors as well as the Bazouki and the Accordion.
It was all done live.
I'll post the result somewhere, might come by in the clinic.

Back