Annoying fret buzz on Jazzbass

WarmJetGuitar

My mate's Squire Jazzbass (pretty good one actually) has an annoying buzz on the A-string. The problem started after being transported poorly and after that it's been adjusted by a decent luthier yet the problem is still there and is audible on an amp.

Anything we can do to fix the thing or has the neck been damaged? What to look for?

Not necessarily so. If it's just one string, and this happens at most frets, then I'd more look towards raising the A string at the bridge. Or, it is possible the nut slot is a little worn down. Check if you have any pitting on the lower frets right where the A string sits. You can fix this yourself if you are handy and work neatly. However, you will need a nut file (likely a .080 or maybe a .085), although a small needle file will also do the trick.

How to Fix a Guitar Nut With Baking Soda and Super Glue | Brian Egert

Not necessarily so. If it's just one string, and this happens at most frets, then I'd more look towards raising the A string at the bridge. Or, it is possible the nut slot is a little worn down. Check if you have any pitting on the lower frets right where the A string sits. You can fix this yourself if you are handy and work neatly. However, you will need a nut file (likely a .080 or maybe a .085), although a small needle file will also do the trick.

How to Fix a Guitar Nut With Baking Soda and Super Glue | Brian Egert

Normally the nut will only cause the string to buzz on open strings. Unless it is vibrating sympathetically and that would be a bit harder to track down.

More info is needed,

Is it just the open string? What frets?

Does the same note on a different string buzz?

Back