Andrew Sheps Interview

TAE

All you have is now
So a friend had posted a remix on Facebook he did after his reading up on Andrew Scheps LCR mixing style ( Chili Peppers and quite a few other famous bands) He had mentioned that Scheps is known for his LCR approach...Didn't know what the hell he was talking about so I googled Scheps and LCR and stumbled on this video...some good stuff including explaining why, when NOT IN THE BOX, he is FORCED thanks to mixing on a Neve to mix Left, Right, Center...i.e. LCR

So a friend had posted a remix on Facebook he did after his reading up on Andrew Scheps LCR mixing style ( Chili Peppers and quite a few other famous bands) He had mentioned that Scheps is known for his LCR approach...Didn't know what the hell he was talking about so I googled Scheps and LCR and stumbled on this video...some good stuff including explaining why, when NOT IN THE BOX, he is FORCED thanks to mixing on a Neve to mix Left, Right, Center...i.e. LCR

I really liked this contribution, thanks for sharing!

I strongly disagree about Andrew's point of most new converters having great clocks, they really don't have that. But I fully agree about his point that clocks are incredibly important to a great sound, therefore the question was very relevant. The clock to get your hands on is the 10M Rubidium atomic clock. The reason why many pros have been able to achieve pretty good results without stellar clocking is because of their tuning expertise. But these days the competition is such that it's very challenging to compete without a really good clock, at least when aiming for hit list productions. This is stuff that top level cats are pretty silent about, they know it's a great differentiator.

I really liked this contribution, thanks for sharing!

I strongly disagree about Andrew's point of most new converters having great clocks, they really don't have that. But I fully agree about his point that clocks are incredibly important to a great sound, therefore the question was very relevant. The clock to get your hands on is the 10M Rubidium atomic clock. The reason why many pro studios have been able to achieve pretty good results without stellar clocking is because of their tuning expertise.

So, you are on a home recording forum suggesting a $6000 clock for doods that wish to record with a $50 mic? That is not even what the OP was talking about. Why are you even here?

You sir do not give any reliable information and I am personally tired of hearing your inaccurate advice based on everything I have seen you post.

Go hang out at GS and leave the new recordists alone.

Talk to admin if you feel I have banned you permanently for other than good reason. I am just tired of hearing your bullshit.

Best wishes...

Jimmy

Last edited:
I am trying to buy the basics and there is a recommendation for a clock. That is pretty funny.

The reason why many pros have been able to achieve pretty good results without stellar clocking is because of their tuning expertise.

Damn Jimmy....and I was just about to ask him if he was again refering to A = 432 Hz....and if that means that if you ain't got good clock, you can just tune down to make up for it.

:p

;)

I'm also sure he's more experienced than Andrew Scheps about those things..... :facepalm:

Yeah, I just heard of LCR a couple of weeks ago. Can't believe a mix can sound full by pushing everything dead center, dead left or dead right, but he makes it sound good..
Jimmy on the BanHammer!

Yeah, I just heard of LCR a couple of weeks ago. Can't believe a mix can sound full by pushing everything dead center, dead left or dead right, but he makes it sound good..

Lots of people do. It's really not that big a deal..

Lots of people do. It's really not that big a deal..

It really isn't..... unless you're a newb to mixing ( like me and others here ) and don't know it ...Back in the late 70's when I mixed live it was always mono, it was just about getting a nice blend / mix ..now 40 years later trying to find a way to move stuff around in the mix / in the box is pretty cool and I have a lot to learn... Ambiosonics It is pretty cool that you can move a sound around your body ( with headphones on ) Dolby is working on a way to produce the same effect with two speakers ...a little more than just LCR

Last edited:
It is pretty cool that you can move a sound around your body ( with headphones on ) Dolby is working on a way to produce the same effect with two speakers ...a little more than just LCR

Yeah, but Andrew Scheps wasn't/isn't doing LCR in any atempt to create some surround/special kind of mix.

Like he said in the video, the Neve console he uses only has L/R buttons for the speakers, and to pan in-between L and center or R and center, he would have to add a pan circuit to that which also drops the output level down.....so to avoid all that, he just went with the console "limitation" and ended up hard panning L/R or leaving it in the center.
He's kinda saying in the video that there's really no special "sonic" reason for his use of LCR...

Yep Miroslav pretty funny how his hardware limitations got other people thinking it was his magic mojo...

He's a pretty candid yet humorous guy I am glad I stumbled upon his interview really was not aware or him or the LCR concept learned some stuff...

Back