Analog to digital?

StarMan

Just picked up an old Mackie 1402 small desk, and was wondering if I can connect this to my PC and my Cubase. Is this possible?

What I want to do is to use the mixer more like a remote controller, so for example instead of clicking inside Cubase project on track trip during my tracking sessions, so I can do it manually and remote rather than always using my mouse to click on specific track etc inside Cubase project. Hope you know what I mean?

Ahh...I don't believe there is anything built into the Mackie that you can "click on" to trigger anything to the PC and to Cubase.
You would need a digital controller designed to work with a DAW...and more specifically, with Cubase.

If you just want remote control...get a wireless mouse and keyboard. That's the easiest/cheapest method...and just learn/program specific keyboard commands, and/or use the mouse if you can see the computer monitor from the remote location.

It's an analog mixer, analog input, analog output, all analog inside. There's nothing it does that would be recognized inside software.

There are devices that do what you're talking about, more or less. Look at a Presonus FaderPort or Behringer BCF-2000.

Analog to Digital 2

It's an analog mixer, analog input, analog output, all analog inside. There's nothing it does that would be recognized inside software.

There are devices that do what you're talking about, more or less. Look at a Presonus FaderPort or Behringer BCF-2000.

Thanks for this, shall check the products out.

Another question, in that case, how would I connect my analog mixer to my interface/computer so that the recorded tracks I have done my digital DAW, I can route it out from my DAW through my analog mixer so I can do a rough analog mix down so that I can compare it to a proper digital mix?

Thanks for this, shall check the products out.

Another question, in that case, how would I connect my analog mixer to my interface/computer so that the recorded tracks I have done my digital DAW, I can route it out from my DAW through my analog mixer so I can do a rough analog mix down so that I can compare it to a proper digital mix?

You'll need an audio interface with a sufficient number of outputs. But there probably won't be a massive difference in quality. It's more a matter of versatility and cost. You need a lot of outboard gear to do an analog mix that's comparable (in terms of compressors, eq, reverbs etc.) to a digital mix.

You need a lot of outboard gear to do an analog mix that's comparable (in terms of compressors, eq, reverbs etc.) to a digital mix.

Right...you need to consider all the digital FX/processing that you do in the DAW, and then have similar FX/processing options with analog rack gear to do any kind of fair comparison. With just an analog mixer alone, it would have to be a really high-end analog mixer that could provide a quality analog mix.

Not to insult or discourage...but that Mackie isn't even close to that...it's more of a small, inexpensive live mixer.
Mackie has much better analog mixers than that model...and even they don't come close to anything of quality that could impart a significant analog vibe to a mix, especially without the analog outboard.

I'm big into both analog and digital, and have a pretty involved hybrid setup, so I don't lean one way or the other...so trust me, and like BSG said, in your situation, don't waste your time getting a multichannel interface. Stay digital all the way...you will gain nothing going out from the DAW through that mixer.

I'm big into both analog and digital, and have a pretty involved hybrid setup, so I don't lean one way or the other...so trust me, and like BSG said, in your situation, don't waste your time getting a multichannel interface. Stay digital all the way...you will gain nothing going out from the DAW through that mixer.

Thanks for all your replies and helpful advice, it's given me much food for thought. OK, I guess staying in the realm of digital is where I should be staying but since I now have the analog mixer, is there anyway I can incorporate it into my tracking/mixing sessions, at least I want to use it some way...I read some where that it could be used as summing mix? Obviously the final mixdown would be all through my digital software...is this an option or if you can recommend something, I'd appreciate it.

You could use it for all sorts of things. The question is, would it do any of those things better than some other option. There are very few things having to do with a DAW system for which that mixer would be the best solution. One of those things might be recording a live jam session for performance evaluation. Otherwise, why bother? The DAW has all the function of that mixer and much, much more, and it is better at just about anything that mixer can do. If you need to mix some inputs in real time, use the mixer. Otherwise skip it.

I agree with BSG...using it just to use it, sure, there's some ways to do that...but the point here is why bother when it will not add anything of value/quality...no matter how you use it.

You can't sum with that without a multi-channel interface, with enough connection as the number of tracks you would want to sum with the mixer...but the cost of that kind of interface would be wasted money for use with that mixer.

Your best option is to use it as a small live mixer for whatever...a DJ rig, or at band practices, or as an inexpensive PA mixer...but it's not a tracking or recording mixer by far.
Don't get hung up on looking for a reason or way to use it, just because you have it. If you're not planning to do any live mixing with it...then just sell it and put it out of your mind.

Back