an acoustic rock tune: "Hightime"

hey dobro,
yea, the bongos are tricky. they don't translate as easy as you would think they would,
some of it is the mic placement, but MOST of it, is just the way you play it.

That's mostly what I'm thinking now, too. Which means, on recordings where you hear bongo hits like pistol shots, it's mostly the player's technique that's making that happen (although I think the instrument itself is part of it - good instruments sound better than junk).
i tried to do a full performances without any punch ins, just because.

I don't do punch ins either. If I have to do punch ins, it tells me I have to practise the part more.

Anyway, check out the next tune I post at the end of the month if you're interested. It's got a bongo part which I keep redoing. For a simple part, it keeps evolving because of the sound I'm looking for - sometimes I hit the head with one finger, sometimes with two fingers, sometimes with all fingers or the whole hand. Damn, who'da thought?

BTW, I think the bongo part on your tune works really well.

Another pleasure to listen to.

I get the Zep references on this one.

Bongos are hard to capture right, but they lend just the right underdrive to this piece.

Another pleasure to listen to.

I get the Zep references on this one.

Bongos are hard to capture right, but they lend just the right underdrive to this piece.
hi k dub! yea, gotta have a zep influence in there, if you grew up playing zep tunes! LOL
the bongos, were the last thing added...and you're right,
the song needed a 'driver' to the groove, and that was what it needed, i had never thought of using them,
til the song was already mixed!
heh, funny how that works out...

sometimes you gotta wear the producer hat.

The producer hat, the writer hat, the musician hat, the recording engineer hat, the mixing engineer hat, the mastering engineer hat, the distributor and publicist hats. The trick is, when you take a well-deserved bow, to manage all those hats. Really like this tune.

Back