Amp Simulator Plugin

guitarpat

How can I hear my amp sim plugin in my monitors when I'm tracking? I can only hear it afterwards when I playback. Is there something in my settings?

Depending on the version of Sonar you're using, there should be a little icon somewhere in your audio track control that is the "echo" button. Turn it on.

I tried that and it's delayed. Guess it takes time to process. I've been running a line out to my amp to give it a good sound for tracking. Guess that might be my only solution.

What kind of computer are you using and which Sonar version? It shouldn't be delayed unless you've messed up your settings somehow.

Besides, I've never met an amp sim that sounds as good as a real amp.

I have never used Sonar, but have you checked which buffer size your interface is at? You might need to change that which is very easy.

The latency you're hearing might be as a result of using any look ahead plugins in your project, what version of Sonar are you using?

Plugins like (but not confined to), Perfect Space, Concrete Limiter, LP64 EQ, LP64 Multiband

All these can cause the problem. If you're using any of these, try bypassing them while you're tracking and re-enable when you've finished

I'm just running a line to my amp and cranking it up when I'm recording. Seems like the tube amp effects my guitar that way. I know it sounds funny but it seems to play better. Yup, I'm a guitar player lol

Here's the easiest way - just learn how to play along while hearing yourself play the clean/unaffected guitar. With the rig you're using, you're most likely not going to be able to get low-latency, let alone zero latency, to allow you to play along while hearing the effects. Latency is configured under Preferences > Audio Drivers. You can try and experiment with lowering it, but you'll most likely get a huge performance hit and playback will stutter while recording and even a few milliseconds of delay is enough to throw off your guitar playing.

Good amp sims take a lot of processing, processing takes time, processing time causes latency. If you insist on using a computer to get your guitar tone (which seems insane to me but is common practice now) then you will have some latency.

If you want to eliminate latency then get your guitar tone before going into the computer, with an amp and a mic, and use an all analog input monitoring path.

What you're already doing is a reasonable compromise, using an amp to play to but recording the clean signal. But tone and playing are interactive and it will never be the same as playing through and amp and recording that sound.

I'm a firm believer in the flexibility of a high-quality amp sim. I live and die by Amplitube. I believe Amplitube and other amp sims of its quality have come a long way as far as guitar tone. In fact, my last recording for my band blended both Amplitube guitars and live recorded guitars and you couldn't tell the difference - especially when you get into using really nice cab impulse files in addition to Amplitube. It's just like getting a new amp, you must spend a lot of time with it to learn how to get a great sound out of it. I think the biggest mistake a lot of guitar players make when using an amp sim is to just plop in a preset and be done - not good.

The major difference with this method is that I have to listen to my guitar being played clean while I track to the playback. I've had some other guitarists find it really strange, and at times difficult, but I've been doing it so much that I'm completely used to it and can do a good job of translating in my head of how a it will sound coming out the other end - for things like pinch harmonics, etc.

The major difference with this method is that I have to listen to my guitar being played clean while I track to the playback. I've had some other guitarists find it really strange, and at times difficult, but I've been doing it so much that I'm completely used to it and can do a good job of translating in my head of how a it will sound coming out the other end - for things like pinch harmonics, etc.
Excellent point, right on there. I recently read that Gilmour recorded the Another Brick in the Wall solo straight into the board, and back then that was unheard of. Now you can get used to it and do some amazing effects on your track, re-amp it if you want. But it's the imagination required and the faith of the guitarist that's hard to come by!

Dwarf

A second PC running Amplitube standalone is one direction to look. An A/B splitter and any old amp or floorboard can get a clean signal into the software while you hear effects if you have an instrument level input or D/I.I try to record everything possible. Never know when you might want to blend what you heard laying it down with what you cobbled up in post processing.

I've been using Sonar for years. The real difference maker for me was to invest in a good 0-latency sound card for my PC. I started with an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and I eventually upgraded to the 1010LT. With sound cards like that you can set your audio driver in Sonar from WDM to ASIO and it makes a world of difference. I can track and echo back all of my band instruments at once with plugins and eq running and get 0 latency. My amp sim of choice is Guitar Rig from NI. Runs great and has a lot of options. I can currently record a stereo guitar track, bass, 4 drum tracks and a vocal track and echo it all back at 0 latency.

Check into a different internal sound card if your HP has room for it. It will do wonders.

Other guys here are smarter than me for this stuff. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. :)

Back