Amp has volume/distortion jumps

ido1957

9K Gold Member
The other day I was playing my guitar and after a few minutes the amp volume jumped and there was a bunch of distortion. I kept playing and after a few seconds the distortion/volume went away. This happened about 4 times over 20 minutes so I disconnected my processor (GP8) and ran straight into the amp. That seemed to fix it although there was a tiny jump (way less) once over the next hour and a half of steady playing.

So today, (first time since last week) I played for 20 minutes intervals:
- straight in to the amp using the processor output cable (bad cable check)
- from processor to input on ML250 amp (bad processor check)
- from processor to input on Marshall (the usual set up which had jumped up in volume)

And of course there were no spikes in any of the combinations. Kill me now!
WTF is causing this intermittent spike? Maybe an electrical device like a fridge which is the only thing usually running - no furnace running at present either.

Any ideas as to what it could be or what else to try? I was ready to buy a new processor or amp head until I tried this tonight. No use buying new gear if it's not necessary....

Did you try twisting the volume and tone pots to see if one of them is going bad? I had a Marshall that did something similar with an extremely old/dirty volume pot shorting out. Check all the Pots ?

Back