Am I out of key with the guitar part?

Yes, to me it sounds out of tune, and.. uh.. not in place. Almost like you had a pretty cool tune, thought it was complete, then had a few shots of booze and thought to add just one more track.:D

Yes, to me it sounds out of tune, and.. uh.. not in place. Almost like you had a pretty cool tune, thought it was complete, then had a few shots of booze and thought to add just one more track.:D

Thanks for letting me know. I see how the last part might sound like that, it was going to be part of a final climax, so it hasn't been developed yet in that mix. I'm having trouble making up a guitar part that is in key over that last bass riff.

I'm really new to theory, and having trouble with it as you can see. Anyway, I guess I'll keep working on it.

I'd say no....its Door's like and washed with effects. But I didn't think it was out of tune as in offkey, like someone singing with a piano and being offkey.

i mean, the whole tune was flanged and echo'd... so its going to sound delayed and off a bit.

a lot of the doors stuff is like this and the 1970's Sgt.Pepper on steroids albums.

i thought you did the style ok.

I Agree, not out of key, it has an atonal quality because of note choice and effects, really it's just dissonance, the rythm sounds mostly like a b5 with a moving E, F, G, under it. (just a quick translation) with the solo? A,B, - F,G, etc. 10th position?

All fit in the key of C Maj (my favorite Key) ;)

I Agree, not out of key, it has an atonal quality because of note choice and effects, really it's just dissonance, the rythm sounds mostly like a b5 with a moving E, F, G, under it. (just a quick translation) with the solo? A,B, - F,G, etc. 10th position?

All fit in the key of C Maj (my favorite Key) ;)

Hmm, ok....

The reason I asked was because I played it for someone, and they immediately said the guitar as out of tune...... I think she said it was flat. But to me, the guitar sounded "good".

Ya the B5 is right. Thats what I start on atleast, which gives the bass riff that feel, then I move to the D, then flip down to G0, then to E1. The E, F, G sound under it is the D5 major scale, I just went with what sounded right to me.

The solo part before that is just notes played out of the B minor pentatonic scale for the most part with some "out notes" mixed in.

Btw, its all tuned to CGCFAD.

Really though, the main concern for me is, I don't want it to be heard as "oh god, that sounds awful, out of tune" when heard. I seem to get mixed responses on this though.

Really though, the main concern for me is, I don't want it to be heard as "oh god, that sounds awful, out of tune" when heard. I seem to get mixed responses on this though.

Thats all relative to the listener, no matter what you do, if it's different, some are going to say that. If this song was on an album with (or played to a fan of) ballads and strait foward rock, then your going to get horrible reviews, if it's on an album with psychodelic or maybe alternative, they'll love it.

I kind of liked it and hated it at the same time :D

and it played in tune with my guit.

Thats all relative to the listener, no matter what you do, if it's different, some are going to say that. If this song was on an album with (or played to a fan of) ballads and strait foward rock, then your going to get horrible reviews, if it's on an album with psychodelic or maybe alternative, they'll love it.

I kind of liked it and hated it at the same time :D

and it played in tune with my guit.

Interesting. You mind explaining straight, how you liked and hated it? Most importantly what you hated about it.

Strait foward rock, your basic radio stuff. Led Zep/AC/DC - Sound Garden/(or the most basic chick music)Wallflowers, as a couple examples.

I'd rather emphasize what I liked than not, It's just not my style, It was already compared to The Doors, I HATE THE DOORS!!!!!!!!!!! although age and musical experience opens my mind up to things I hated in the past.

I do like the sound you achieved, though some sterio separation from the bassline would help me decide if I like the guitar work or not. the way it's mixed, it sounds like some effort went into the writing while daring to be different but, I could be confusing the guitar part with the combined guit/bass sound.

I am judging the guitar part, as that's the question in point, not the mix or lyrics. I didn't pay attention to 1 word of the lyrics. all additional review points are from memory, repitition in listening may alter the first impression opinion.

Strait foward rock, your basic radio stuff. Led Zep/AC/DC - Sound Garden/(or the most basic chick music)Wallflowers, as a couple examples.

I'd rather emphasize what I liked than not, It's just not my style, It was already compared to The Doors, I HATE THE DOORS!!!!!!!!!!! although age and musical experience opens my mind up to things I hated in the past.

I do like the sound you achieved, though some sterio separation from the bassline would help me decide if I like the guitar work or not. the way it's mixed, it sounds like some effort went into the writing while daring to be different but, I could be confusing the guitar part with the combined guit/bass sound.

I am judging the guitar part, as that's the question in point, not the mix or lyrics. I didn't pay attention to 1 word of the lyrics. all additional review points are from memory, repitition in listening may alter the first impression opinion.

So it sounds like radio rock to you? Thats too bad, I guess, since most the stuff I hear on the radio I can't stand.

Ya, I didn't really get the Doors comparison, I haven't listened to them much, but I don't care for them either.

My guitar work is going to suck, since I suck.

The effort on the writing is simple, after I do a little bit, I do the next part that I "think" should go next. It's actually finished though, I needed to make sure i was "in key" on the guitar before I fix up the ending of it.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

I listened on an old stereo system with 1/2 decent speakers & the guitars, whilst not being precise or trad or slavishly following the chords & their notes, sounded appropriate - isn't that the point - the right note for the circumstance?

I kind of like songs that don't say anything, or at least you can't understand them. I wasn't a big Doors fan but I give them their due for being one of those "wierdo" flange blasted bands,,,Led Zep a lot of effects were going on the tunes.
I love Zep, but their recordings imo aren't as clean as the Beatles stuff a decade earlier. BlackSabbath had better studio tracks I thought, and not a big fan of Sabbath, but Ozzie has a very cool vocal, eerie metal. Even firther the 50's with one frkn mic recording Elvis and the Jordinaires live for Hound Dog...

so where does it all go?

who cares...its music, its art.... anything goes, right? I mean nobody thought some scruff like Kurt Cobain and Nirvana would have went from the cockroach hotels with their music, and they surely weren't playing "clean radio" music.

i lost my train of thought again... the Doors, yeah I never really bought their albums either.

thats what I always liked about the Ramones and the punk all the glitz and perfected fake music came back to a garage band thing, for a breath of fresh air......a break from hairspray bands in tights.

Back