am i improvin on my rec/ mix skills/ quality?

lbcstudios

hey guys, ive been workin harrd trying to improve me quality and mixing skills... www.nowhereradio.com/lbcstudios/singles is a sample of my quality back in november...

www.purevolume.com/lbcstudios ( have to download.. sry) .. is a sample that i finished april 1 ...

maybe u can tell me where i have improved.. and wat i need to work more on.. o ya.. these songs are not my bands songs.. im not in a band.. this music is kinda sucky.. but o well.. and.. how much per song would u say this quality is worth? i nkow its not the best.. but im workin at it, thx

First, you should load the song into the pop up player so folks don't have to download it. They'll download it IF they like it. I don't understand your question,"how much is it worth"? If you are trying to sell your services to mix other peoples music, you have to learn lots more.

I not going to talk about the music, just the mix. The drums are WAY too up front, that snare is irritating as hell. Also they need some reverb. The guitars are way in the back. The vocals don't sound like they sit well, they sound like they're just layed on top of everything else. There is no power or punch in the bottom end. The recording is pretty clean, so keep working on getting everything to sound good together, not just individually. You need to learn about EQing to carve out space for each instrument. That's what I'm learning now, too.

Now the music, the drums are the worst banging around I've heard here. You probably need to focus on playing and practicing before you get too involved in recording. Keep practicing, keep playing.

Guitars sound alot cleaner, but they are too bright. Get some mids in there. And im not just talking about differences in music styles because i record this kind of stuff all the time. Youd be surprised at how much mids you really need in there. The drums sound a little distant for this type of music, and the snare doesnt sound tuned right. A little to high pitched. The power of hardcore drums comes from the mids of the snare not the highs. The kick drum needs to come out more. Sometimes on the kick on this kind of stuff im forced to do a 6-10DB boost arond 6khz and compress it after for the type of click you need for this type of music (maybe i should expirement more with mic placement? Oh well i get the sound im looking for).

However, the drums are getting better from the previous, and the compression used on them sounds alot better. Its easier to get everything sounding clean with everything bright like that, but like slkeen said before, it doesnt mix very well.

Over all it is improving though. Performance wise its needs to be tightened up. It sounds really loose. Play to a metronome.

Danny

Back