Akg D330bt

songsj

I'm sure I'll get razzed here, but has anyone tried an AkG D330BT
dynamic on kick drum. I was out of mics and used one on a demo recording and it did not sound that bad. [ Considering they're almost giving them away on ebay].

it may be a personal thing, but i dont like AKG dynamic mics... never heard one that i particularly got jazzed about.

HOWEVER, if they are just giving them away it cant hurt to try...

but as far as DIRT CHEAP bass drum mics, you can probably do better. i just got a CAD TSM411 for $15 and it does the 57 about as well as a 57 (well, a little worse). you could try their bass drum mic

http://www.cadmics.com/kbm412.htm

but i wouldnt pay more than $50 for it without hearing it first.

also, i have a Superlux 57 clone. they seem to make DIRT CHEAP dynamics that dont make me want to puke. you could try their bass drum mic...

or see if a peavey 520i comes up. they are supposed to be great. i saw one on musicgoround for $40, but it was sold by the time i called.

also, you can try a DIRT CHEAP LDC on bass drum...

maybe something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...DQ4QE4aGlEGAm942jiQ/befree_site_id=0040859866

which according to jim williams of audio upgrads, aint too shappy. (shabby and crappy)

it may be a personal thing, but i don't like AKG dynamic mics... never heard one that i particularly got jazzed about.)

I know it's an old thread but I can't let that one go through unanswered.....AKG have some great mics.

The D320 and D330 and the D3800 and D3700 are up there with the Senn. 421 and others..... The D690, 770, and 880 are easily as good if not better than the 57 & 58.

Also the C535 is great on stage as well as a very decent studio SDC.

The build quality and consistency far outstrips Shure and a number of others.... even their cheap Perception series 220 & 420 etc has enormous bang for the buck..... Just sayin'

I know it's an old thread but I can't let that one go through unanswered.....AKG have some great mics.

The D320 and D330 and the D3800 and D3700 are up there with the Senn. 421 and others..... The D690, 770, and 880 are easily as good if not better than the 57 & 58.

Also the C535 is great on stage as well as a very decent studio SDC.

The build quality and consistency far outstrips Shure and a number of others.... even their cheap Perception series 220 & 420 etc has enormous bang for the buck..... Just sayin'

I might not state it so strongly, but certainly a bunch of those mics are actually really useful. Never tried the 320/330 series on kick, but they are really good general percussion mics. I think Pearl Jam used them extensively.

The D690/ D770 are really good voiceover and all purpose cheap stage mics. Great on brass/sax.
The D3800 is a hypercardioid, and tough to use on vocals. Very picky on positioning. It rocks on live stage piano. Don't forget D5- It's a lot like the D770.

When I worked live PA's, I had a set of akg's for drums (still own them), the D330 floor tom, a D320 toms, and 2 x D310 toms, never tried them on kick but they sure sound nice on toms. I switched to the AKG's as they are unbreakable and I was going through SM57's (tops knocked off) like butter. I have used them in the studio on percussion and drums in the past with great results but nowadays use condensers more. I can see no reason why the D330 would not work well on kick, we even used SM57's and SM58's on kick if caught out short on a live rig with great results.

The D330 is also a good stage vocal mic.

Alan.

I have a D-1000E I got at the flea market for $1.00. Apparently the guy thought it was broken because it rattled. I took it home and plugged it in, everything but the foam inside was fine. The foam had all crumbled, so I took it apart, cleaned it up and put some new foam on the element--been fine ever since.

Back