Adobe Audtion 3.0, one effect too many = track skipping/breaking???

-=WSM=-

Hi all,

So I recently started using Adobe Audition 3.0. I'm using a few effects on my vocals and for some reason it seems when I wanted to add one more effect, the playback would start skipping/breaking like a really badly damaged cassette tape. Anyone know why this is and how I would go about fixing it??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

are the effects locked? you can do that in audition if I remember rightly and it lowers the CPU hit of the effects.

Muzza

Muzzaman is right. You have to use the "freeze" function that will process the effects on that one channel prior to playback so the program doesn't keep using your computer resources. I run into it when layering compression and so forth. Sounds like hell until you freeze and then it's pretty sweet.

Hey I have this exact same problem. Does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or is this an Adobe issue? I have used Adobe since it was Cool Edit Pro! So I really don't want to switch to anything else...

It can be a hardware weakness. I got a new computer this year (Win 7 64-bit, dual core processor) and I can playback more tracks in Audition 3 without stuttering than I could on my previous machine. (Not that the 64-bit nature of my machine helps with Audition, cuz that still runs in 32-bit. I think it's a matter of a faster processor and more RAM, but what do I know? Nothing, except that Audition runs better on a faster machine.)

Aside from that, it's the amount of math that Audition has to do when you're running stuff like reverbs, which is a limitation of the software. Having said that...

1 I'm running three instances of full reverb on three different busses in Multitrack on my new machine with no dropouts or glitches, and WITHOUT HAVING TO FREEZE TRACKS. That's in addition to EQs and compressors on lots of other clips. I'm happy.

2 Version 4 which is to be released later this year is, by all reports, really fast. They must have rewritten code that was slowing things down. If that's the case, then buying the new program would probably help.

Well, it's not totally accurate to say "a limitation of the software". Audition can only do as much math as your processor and RAM can handle at any given time.

A couple of things. First, some effects are a lot more processor intensive than others. Freezing/locking the track is one way around this but choosing, for example, a different version of 'verb can also make a big difference.

Second, you can greatly improve things by making sure you have nothing extra running in background on your computer. Two particular culprits are anti virus software and wifi networking. However, either setting up a clean boot for when you do audio work or using something like "Enditall" to eliminate all un-necessary programmes and processes can free up enough processor cycles to make a big difference.

Well, it's not totally accurate to say "a limitation of the software". Audition can only do as much math as your processor and RAM can handle at any given time.

It's also the software, I think. That's why Audition 4 is described by Durin at Adobe as blindingly fast and why various beta rumors and that alarming questionnaire Adobe ran (is running?) indicates that Version 4 is dumping certain features that previous versions had - because the code was sorta clunky and got in the way of Version 4's s-p-e-e-d. It's faster because the code's different and better, apparently. Now whether speed and ability to play back more tracks and more effects without stuttering is the same thing, I don't know. But I would imagine they're related and that both are a function of the speed (or limitation) of the software.

As long as there are better, faster computers, we'll ask our software to do more and still hit the ceiling. I imagine the freeze function will always be useful.

I've got 8 cores, 32 gigs of RAM, and 4 terrabytes of fast storage. The whole set up is easily 4 times more robust than my last rig. So what do I do? Of course, I ask it do 5 times more stuff at once. It's not uncommon for me to have up to 24 audio channels (I use 12 for drums alone)--all with fx, and a couple/few soft synths--some with samples that would have choked my old computer by itself.

So yeah, I like the freeze function. (And I'm using Cubase, by the way. But the same logic applies.)

On mixes I'm doing now, I'm running three instances of Full Reverb in Audition 3 on my new machine with EQ and compression on lots of other tracks, and no track freezing. I could never do that on my old machine using Audition 3. (When you load Full Reverb into Multitrack, Audition suggests that you're gonna have problems because it claims lots of computer power.) That suggests that the computer's the main thing that counts and that's always gonna be key. But some programs DO do it more efficiently and ease the load on the hardware.

Back