ADK love?

I recently (8 months ago) picked up an ADK Area 51 TT tube mic because I read that the Jason Livermore used one on Tim McIlrath’s (Rise Against) vocals. I had ADK do the Z-67 mod (Z-67 has also been used a lot by Jason and Tim). The mod (changed out the circuit board, transformer, capsule, wiring) added some great upper mid clarity that my voice is naturally lacking. It’s my new go-to for acoustic guitar as well.

Super happy with it, just a great mic! I feel like I just discovered that a mic can be both super detailed and not overly bright at the same time.

Any other ADK fans out there? I’m interested to know which other mics you’ve found are standouts and what you use them for.

I like ADK mics - I don't see any need to mod them - you just taken the character they have out of service.
I see what you’re saying. But if you can find one of their older cheaper TT mics that have the right body (about $350), and send it in to ADK, they will make it a brand new Z-mod
(a $4k mic) for a fraction of the cost. Same exact internals. Only difference is the body has a sticker saying which mod was done, instead of the new colored body with the Z mod logo. Definitely worth it! And they are an awesome company to work with.

I see what you’re saying. But if you can find one of their older cheaper TT mics that have the right body (about $350), and send it in to ADK, they will make it a brand new Z-mod
(a $4k mic) for a fraction of the cost. Same exact internals. Only difference is the body has a sticker saying which mod was done, instead of the new colored body with the Z mod logo. Definitely worth it! And they are an awesome company to work with.
Oh you mean letting ADK do the mod - which isn't really a mod as much as a make over - I agree with that.

Oh you mean letting ADK do the mod - which isn't really a mod as much as a make over - I agree with that.
Exactly. A complete rehaul. I think they started their company making much cheaper mics, and they like to bring them up to current specs for their customers. I’m in under $1k for a Z-67 with a power supply, no complaints!

Exactly. A complete rehaul. I think they started their company making much cheaper mics, and they like to bring them up to current specs for their customers. I’m in under $1k for a Z-67 with a power supply, no complaints!
So $600 for the upgrade? That's a great deal.

I have an older 51st that I really like but then again, I have bad taste.
I talked to the owner a few times years ago when he would actually be the one picking up the phone. His name is Larry Villella. I also met and rapped with him at NAMM once...cool cat. Bottom line is if you like how it sounds it's a good mic for you.

I sure like mine.

He and his mic's certainly merit my seal of bad taste!

1705414696144.png

Last edited:
Back