Adding gain to a USB mic? Audix USB12

I no longer have a 204HD but I do have a USB mic and a Behringer UCA202 AND a W7 laptop. Both devices are 16 bit so I can try them to see if they are recognized as 'generic audio device' sans drivers later today.

Pretty sure they will be. Do consider my headset suggestion? Frees you up to move about a bit and cuts out almost all the bad room acoustics.

Dave.
Any luck with the Behringer and W7 laptop?
I’m tempted to try a headset and it was a great suggestion, but I can see myself getting tired of wear it for 10-13 hours per day.

I’m going to try the interface with an SM81 on a desktop gooseneck stand. I’m hopeful this not only eliminates my volume issues but improves the voice recognition accuracy.

Any luck with the Behringer and W7 laptop?
I’m tempted to try a headset and it was a great suggestion, but I can see myself getting tired of wear it for 10-13 hours per day.

I’m going to try the interface with an SM81 on a desktop gooseneck stand. I’m hopeful this not only eliminates my volume issues but improves the voice recognition accuracy.
Sorry not yet, I have my son visiting from France but I pack him off to Brum airport at 10am today so will then have my time back!
Believe me! That Senny headset is SO light that after ten minutes you will forget you are wearing it. In any case, you should not be working more than a couple of hours without a break. (couple of good articles in Sound on Sound..."Dying to make Music?" About healthy work practices!)

Dave.

Done it! Plugged the 202 into my HP g6 W7 laptop and in Audacity it was found using Windows Direct Sound drivers. A feed from a mixer's RCAs gave readings around -35dBFS but I have level in hand on the mixer. Going into Windows Sound Control the level of "USB CODEC" as it is called can be changed but maybe not for you? But at least no drivers other than those in W7 are needed.

In Samplitude SE8 I could use WDM or MME drivers. I dare say also ASIO4all but that would be of no use to you I don't think? Let me know if you need me to try anything else.

Dave.

Done it! Plugged the 202 into my HP g6 W7 laptop and in Audacity it was found using Windows Direct Sound drivers. A feed from a mixer's RCAs gave readings around -35dBFS but I have level in hand on the mixer. Going into Windows Sound Control the level of "USB CODEC" as it is called can be changed but maybe not for you? But at least no drivers other than those in W7 are needed.

In Samplitude SE8 I could use WDM or MME drivers. I dare say also ASIO4all but that would be of no use to you I don't think? Let me know if you need me to try anything else.

Dave.
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your time and effort! And I hope you enjoyed your son’s visit. France, that’s way too far!

Dave.
A little follow up…

We’re in business, thanks everyone! It works great. You just added 10 years to my life.

IMG_5956.jpeg
AND A QUICK VOICE RECOGNITION TEST…
IMG_5957.jpeg

You need a class compliant audio interface with an adjustable gain control. This might be one of the few circumstances where the Behringer UMC22 would fit the bill. It doesn't need any drivers because it is class compliant in Windows. For most purposes this is a disadvantage because you can't record with low latency in class compliant mode but it should work for you.
Thank you for the suggestion, the Behringer works perfectly! (see post above, I don’t know how to put multiple quotes in one post) And now I know the term “class compliant”. So much learning going on here!
Thanks everyone!

Back