Acoustic Pre-Amp problems

Dyson Steel

What would be the "very best" pre-amp style pick up to replace the "piece of junk" Electra pick up in my 12 string Acoustic Guild? The pick up/ pre-amp sounds like a "reverb chamber with a bad capacitor".

I took my1974 Fender Quad Reverb amp to a Tech 4 times and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I finally DI'd it through my Mackie 32x8 and behold the same modulating, irritating high frequency wow & flutter noise was coming through.

Least the Amp is in top shape now.

Thanks All

:(
D

?????

tom18222 said:
just an idea- are you sure its not the guitar itself? youd be surprised

Give me an example of what you are asking?

The pick up is under the bone on the bridge. The pre-amp is cut into the side of the acoustic body in the standard area (top, center, near the curve, right handed version. I know its the guitar and not the amp!!!

Thanks

D

by guitar i meant anything on thee guitar in general, it could be the preamp, which is why you made this topic lol. but i mean that bad sound from the amp--have you used it with other guitars?

Pardon, thought I was clear

Yes, that's how I found out it was the guitar.

I have a Washburn Festival Series 12 string that is o.k. when pluged into my Fender or the Mackie Board. Also a fender guitar. Epiphone electric solid body guitar also (but i don't like it. Its like the 1963 Les Paul I gave away in 1979).

It drove me crazy for about 4 months.

Bad thing is the noise comes and goes. And its not the battery. I have swaped new ones with old ones, new ones with new ones, old ones with old ones etc.

Thanks again

D

TexRoadkill said:
Fishman has some nice systems.

Not saying Fishman is not a good one.

How about some model #'s. Any Idea's?

I don't want a low quality one. I don't mind paying $$$ for a good one. My Guild was $2800 new. 1998 model. The sound is rich and hangs well.

But the Electra pre-amp has a Chorus built in, sub,bass,mid,hi, faders styles eq's with a bright switch and a chorus switch along with the volumn control fader.

Just want a Good Pre-amp.

:confused:
Thanks again
D

Scratching my head

Thanks Tex!

I'm double checking everything before I gut my Guild.

Well I'm about to scream with this noise I can't find. I took it to

the guitar shop today. We could not make it duplicate the noise
on any of his amps. I did not take my amp. But my amp does not do this with other guitars pluged in.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is it possible that I have so much electrical stuff in a given area that I'm getting some kind of electrostatic or electromagnetic loop sounding interference like a phase shifter ( I have 1 of the old style and this is exactly what the thing is sounding like when pluged in), turned up enough to hear and my hand across all the
strings.

???
D

Back