Acoustic guitar going out of tune very fast

gstoelen

Hi all,

I'm a beginning guitar player and I bought an acoustic guitar. I managed to tune it, but I notice that about 4 out of the 6 strings, rapidly loose some tension. So when I played a few chords for a while and I let the guitar rest for half an hour, it sounds totally out of tune on those strings.

Is there anything I can do myself, to get this fixed ? Or should I take it back to the shop ?

Thanks,
Geert

I assume it was a pretty cheap guitar since you're a beginner?

Unfortunately, cheap guitars go out of tune quickly. That's why I never recommend cheap guitars for beginners, because it is so much of a hassle to tune when you're just starting out. The tuning pegs could be a little loose though, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Does it have steel, or nylon strings?
New strings, especially nylon take a while to "break in". Try stretching the strings. If that doesn't help, take it back.

Steel strings need a bit of stretchng as well. SOme brands more than others.

AS a beginner - are you sure you have installed the strings correctly? (No slack at the bridge pin, proper over/under wind on the tuning peg). If the guitar was already strung its possible that the strings are old (older strings should hold basic pitch, but intonation can be off).

stretching strings is the answer, but never stretch strings on a nylon classical guitar because it actually ruins the thread and weakens them, you just have to wait until they settle especially with high tension strings

Hi all,

I'm a beginning guitar player and I bought guitar. I managed to tune it, but I notice that about 4 out of the 6 strings, rapidly loose some tension. So when I played a few chords for a while and I let the guitar rest for half an hour, it sounds totally out of tune on those strings.

Is there anything I can do myself, to get this fixed ? Or should I take it back to the shop ?

Thanks,
Geert

Hi Geert,

I suggest you to tune your guitar full step down and see if that helps.
And buy a capo use it to play on standard tuning (place capo on third fret)

Hi Geert,

I suggest you to tune your guitar full step down and see if that helps.
And buy a capo use it to play on standard tuning (place capo on third fret)

Month old thread. The OP never came back. Not very good advise at all.

The biggest mistakes I see people making that can't keep their insts in tune are
- cranking the tuners back and forth 'till the string 'reads in pitch' - whoop'de do, that means squat.
- and even bothering to try to fine tune before the instrument is stable to your body/playing temp.

Come up from below pitch
Let them all stay a little below pitch- and play it a little while.
Now adjust up carefully. Go through them all, each a little at a time repeating and strumming if need be, not to cross over to sharp.

Even inexpensive axes should be able to hold a stable tension.
And. this strumming or whatever you're doing during this should relate somewhat to how you're going to play the thing! Now if you're going to be banging on it and streaching strings, then that needs to be part of your pre conditioning' and checks shouldn't it.

Back