Acid

t-dubs2

Anyone here use Acid? I'm currently using Acid 4.0 and I think it's great. I'm new at recording so Acid is perfect. The ease of use is what I like best, and it's compatible with any sound cards. I know some of you more experienced guys think Acid is crap but I think it does a pretty good job for just basic recording.

I'm a "more experienced guy" and I still use Acid Pro 4.0 from time to time. It's very user-friendly and is great for making my own loops. The only reason I haven't upgraded to version 6 is that I already have a multitracker - Vegas.

Got both 4 and 6 and I use them both all the time. I started in computer sequencing with Cubase 1.0 for Windows 3.1 a VERY LOOOONG time ago and have toyed with most of what's come since. Acid is very quick and convenient and it gets the job done. Screw what others say about it. I write software for a living and believe me, the code all looks the same underneath.

Unless you want to do some serious Midi stuff, stick with 4. it requires much less CPU overhead and there really ain't that much difference otherwise.

Acid 2.0 was my very first music software! i upgraded to Acid Pro 3.0 and used that for a long, long time. very easy program to get into, but i've since moved away from the Acid brand as i got away from loop-based production. still, it's a cool program for sure, especially if you're new at computer recording.

i've never even made a loop. sure i've listened to a section over and over with the looper thing. sure..i've copied and pasted something. i don't think i even know what to click to loop a section for x amount of times.

i just use the multitracking, the buses, fx, effect automation. ....i know acid is "loop based" but it serves me perfectly just being a normal multitracker.

i just use the multitracking, the buses, fx, effect automation.

I like the automation envelopes but sometmes they can be rather tedius and time consuming. Anybody know if these can be controlled via Midi and a hardware control surface?
I haven't seen any part of the program to let you setup such a thing...

A lot of you guys are saying "I used it for a while", "it's great for starters", "it's cool if you're new", "I use it from time to time"...

which implies that there are some greater programs... and what I want to know is, what are some better programs that are more suitable for people who aren't just starting out?

Catch my drift? I'm looking for higher-end ones..

A lot of you guys are saying "I used it for a while", "it's great for starters", "it's cool if you're new", "I use it from time to time"...

which implies that there are some greater programs... and what I want to know is, what are some better programs that are more suitable for people who aren't just starting out?

REAPER. :cool:

depends on what you want to do. if you don't use midi at all, i'ld say it's not worth switching. even when i've worked with protools, i didn't use the automating faders.

oh! and i hate that after you've put automation on a track, the faders are worthless. you'll put some automation on, then adjust the track level, and it will ignore what you just did, and go to where ever the automation line is. that frustrated me to no end in class when my mix was played and it was totally not like i mixed. i was just so used to acid.

in acid the faders and automation aren't the same thing. so you can automate and then turn the entire track down or up after that.

protools does have track grouping for editing purposes, but a simple hold of your shift key and 2 clicks and you can adjust volumes pretty quickly in acid.

if you're using midi protools is a lot better for editing, as it's not so easy in acid. (i haven't used much midi in acid, besides using a click, or an already programed file)

the newest version of protools did have an editable click track. so you could make the song retard without putting in a million tempo markings. oh...and in acid, for me at least, recording over tempo changes messed up the sampling for me. i did it some time ago, and only once, so i guess i didn't see if i could fix it..but protools doesn't do that.

so probably consider what you're actually going to be using and wanting to upgrade. acid for me is perfect. i hate midi and would never ever ever want it in my recording, and i don't do tempo changes much, and if i want to retard i'll just fade out my click track. my familiarity with acid trumps any advantage to going to protools.

I use Acid for drum tracking. Sometimes I use loops, sometimes I use single drum hit samples and arrange them using Acid. It's easy enough to use and offers all the features I would need. I tracked guitars once using Acid and still prefer my usual Cakewalk multitracking software.

I use ACID 3.0! I know it's very outdated but it works for me. Funny thing, I recently got a new computer to record on. After installing Acid, I had the hardest time registering the program because the register link didn't work anymore. I had to do it over the phone. The guy I was talking to kept on insisting that I update my program! :D

Acid and Vegas are fine programs, and can do many basic editing moves that PT cannot, so if you like them, use them. If you are one of the frustrated that always wished theyd sort of combine the two for the last 7 years, then use REAPER

I just came back here and saw my post.. I completely forgot about it.

Thanks for those detailed replies!

Back