Using a noise suppressor/gate FX pedal to cut vocal transients?

A (unorthodox use of ) Noise suppressor (or gate) type FX pedal to cut transients in vocals?​

I'm trying to find a simple HARDWARE pedal that will completely cut the transients from my vocals. I want the vocals to ease in from nothing at all, smoothly, into their normal level. The opposite of a normal vocal which is loud transient, then into its normal level.

I'm thinking maybe a noise suppressor pedal or (GATE PEDAL?) something could do this but they all seem to have only RELEASE setting, but I think I would need one with ATTACK setting also, so I can set the attack?

I would be sort of using it the opposite of what people would want as they normally don't want any reduction on their audio, just the noise suppression.... so not sure it exists.

Not in pedal form, you would probably need to get a rack mount gate.

Even then, I'm not sure how slow the attack gets on those things. The main reason to slow down the attack on a gate is to keep it from chattering and false triggering.

I'm trying to find a simple HARDWARE pedal that will completely cut the transients from my vocals. I want the vocals to ease in from nothing at all, smoothly, into their normal level. The opposite of a normal vocal which is loud transient, then into its normal level.

I'm thinking maybe a noise suppressor pedal or (GATE PEDAL?) something could do this but they all seem to have only RELEASE setting, but I think I would need one with ATTACK setting also, so I can set the attack?

I would be sort of using it the opposite of what people would want as they normally don't want any reduction on their audio, just the noise suppression.... so not sure it exists.
Are you on a computer and DAW? Either way you set the Gate threshold to be at the level of your transients - and when it engages it will gate the transients.
Pedals - I don’t know them well enough - Hardware you might be able to find an old one - most likely you would have to get a compression that has a gate.

Sounds like a simple compressor to me... smash the crap out of the initial signal and just leave the rest alone.

I have no clue why you would want to do this, as vocals don't have the same type of transient info as something like a drum or piano unless you purposely hit a peak and then let your voice subside. It's not a hard technique to have a vocal be completely even or to bring a vocal up without any real peaks.

Now, if you're trying to do "swells" then there are various stomp boxes that do that, like the Crescendo from TC electronics, or the Outlaw Late Riser. Or you use a volume pedal for manual swells. It would be done in a DAW, but would be a pain in the butt to try to swell each vocal point.

So, I guess my question is "what exactly are you trying to achieve? "

I'm trying to achieve a sort of swell in my vocals to get a certain smooth, mellow sound to the vocals. Probably easiest to just look at this pic.

Attachments

• Smooth In FINALLY.webp
    Smooth In FINALLY.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 14
I don't see any auto swell devices for line level signals. I don't think it's an effect that has seen much use with vocals and if needed they can be done via plugins.

There are a few for guitar from Pigtronix and TC If you have a way to put this into your path, it does what you are looking for. It simulates what Lindsay Buckingham did on the song Dreams.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at a VST plugin. There are a couple of free ones: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2016/05/13/auto-swell-vst/ and

I don't see any auto swell devices for line level signals. I don't think it's an effect that has seen much use with vocals and if needed they can be done via plugins.

There are a few for guitar from Pigtronix and TC If you have a way to put this into your path, it does what you are looking for. It simulates what Lindsay Buckingham did on the song Dreams.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at a VST plugin. There are a couple of free ones: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2016/05/13/auto-swell-vst/ and

Thanks a bunch!!! I think I'm gonna go with the Pigtronix Gloamer. Seems like it'll be perfect.
Yes, I come out of my WA73 preamp with a (Audio-Technica CP8201 Microphone Impedance Matching Transformer adapter) so I can go through pedals before they hit my recorder, and it seems fine....but would a dedicated re-amp box be better (matching impudence and levels) for this situation?

If it doesn't do what I hope for my vocals I'll just use it for my guitar. Cool effect.

Thanks again for your help, I didn't know this existed,

Back