A Rare Guitar

funny-picture-with-captions-australia-01.jpg

Rugby socks :laughings:

Leicester-Tigers-famous-striped-rugby-shorts-pic-Leicester-Tigers-Facebook.jpg

I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, and wear shorts probably about 350 days a year. That's not me in the guitar case picture, but I took that picture while wearing shorts, and ankle socks. (white ones) I used to think they were odd, but I've grown to accept them as the norm. They're cooler, and much more comfortable so I converted a long time ago. Board shorts' became common attire when they started putting pockets on them. I think the long shorts that extend below the knee look ridiculous. NBA uniforms have looked stupid for years, but that's a suitable (pun intended) representation of what the sport has become. I'm old, and biased too. I can't believe how some people dress themselves.

I did the setup on the guitar yesterday. It didn't need much. I cleaned it up, re aligned the neck, made a small truss rod adjustment, and serviced the electronics. It plays really nice. I took a few more pictures, and recorded the pickup dimensions and specs. If anyone's Interested, I'll post up some gut shots, and share the pickup data.

Yeah, we need fuel injection down under or the carbies won't work.
What's with "skins" under shorts these days - "Oh, I'm going for a walk to the shops. I'll just pop on some skins under my shorts so I look like a doofus athlete wannabe, (or maybe my lycra bicycling suit)."
I'd love to look inside the 12. Does it chime on it's own or would it need a compressor?
Has the centre bald bloke embarrassed himself?

Reactions: JCH
lol, There are a lot of hungry butt's on that squad.

I've got some work I need to finish, but I'll get some pictures of the XII up for you later. I just stepped in for a minute.

I love that guitar, it's off the beaten path. I'm bored with Strats and LPs.

I have a Danelectro 12 string and it plays like a dream, super easy to fret.

My way of describing an electric twelve string is that if a six string is a piano a twelve string is a Hammond organ. One is more clear and concise the other just fills in all the empty spots.

Dano 12s are 800-900 dollars down under! Silly prices.

I bought mine for $150 new about twelve years ago. I was shocked by how smooth the neck was for such a cheap guitar. The pickups leave something to be desired, but that's the Danelectro sound I guess.

Isn't it common on these to tune a half step down, and use a capo?

Seems to be fairly common with acoustic 12's, because it reduces string tension. Anything less than Martin/Taylor/Gibson acoustic 12's seem to not live well under all that neck/bridge tension.

I once had a Mosrite Celebrity 12-string. Picked it up CHEAP at a garage sale in New Orleans. Dropped in, asked the old black woman if she had any guitars. She said, and I swear this is true, "I gots a old handmade guitar in the attic. I calls it "Willie" 'cause that whats the man who left it here was called." I crawled around in a very low attic- had to literally crawl on my belly- and finally found it. The guy had SANDED ALL THE FINISH OFF WITH A HOUSE SANDER, leaving a very rough finish but not gouging through the top veneer anywhere except under the pick guard. Brought it home, carefully sanded it smooth again, and determined it originally had a sunburst finish. I had never refinished a 'burst, but was determined to return it to original appearance. About 3 or 4 times, I pulled it back out of the case, set it on my work bench, and just stared at it for about half an hour- I could never be brave enough to start the refinish. Ended up selling it, made a good profit but I wish I'd been bold, or at least refinished it cherry (another factory color option) myself. Have not yet owned another electric 12 string.

I do have a Epiphone hollow body electric body I got cheap- someone before me began to convert it to lefty, filling the knob/switch holes and drilling ones on the other side. I was told by a good luthier it was not worth repairing, but I have considered making it into a "log" guitar, putting something like a 2X4 inside the body so it becomes basically a solid-body set neck guitar that looks like a hollow body. Even have a 12-string neck from an Epi acoustic.

I have a left-handed Arbor 12-string acoustic that has the most wonderful produced tones I ever heard- sounds much better than either the Yamaha or the Ventura 12's I once owned and flipped over to play lefty. I like the 12-string sound, personally, but it's not for everybody or every day.

Back