A Quick Heads Up - Before You Buy Anything From xln.audio

jamusic

Just a heads up to anyone who might be considering purchasing something from xln.audio:

An internet connection is required to install most if not all of their products, with the exception of Addictive Drums, which for some reason, they do allow an off-line install method for.

Also, MF has nothing on their site about this either - no warning about this or that your purchase may or may not be a physical package vs. just a download.

Just thought I'd let unsuspecting buyers be aware.

Last edited:
Just a heads up to anyone who might be considering purchasing something from xln.audio:

An internet connection is required to install most if not all of their products, with the exception of Addictive Drums, which for some reason, they do allow an off-line install method for.

Gee, nothing like good old fashioned consistency, huh?

What kind of company allows some of their things to be installed off-line but not others???

Anyway, I went looking for the link to post here, but they seem better at hiding their policies rather than having them readily accessible.

Also, MF has nothing on their site about this either - no warning about this or that your purchase may or may not be a physical package vs. just a download.

So buyer beware.

Also, there is a free give away - an Electric Grand I think it is - but when you click on the button to get it, a note pops up & says: 'Please log-in to download'.

Of course once you do log-in for it, it's no longer available for some reason.

Anyway, just wanted to put a warning out there, as I now have a real slick new $50 beverage coaster with a fancy xln logo on one of the sides of it.

Great company - what an f'in' mess! :wtf:

Um, what?

Every software I own was registered online in some way. I may have missed your point.

I actually prefer the download versions. Then one does not have to rely on a disc to recover from catastrophe. Just download from the site again.

What happened that made you all mad n stuff?

...I think that Jamusic wanted that free Electric Grand in the worst way... :laughings:

Lol In my very younger years I might have been known to occasionally blow a fuse over not getting something promised, even if it was only worth a few dollars. hahaha :cursing:

...What happened that made you all mad n stuff?...

But no, I'm just getting fed up with companies that reduce our options by way of removing them, all the while touting that it's 'better for us' - when clearly it isn't - it's 'better for them' & them only.

It reminds me of the nearby TV cable office that actually had the audacity to post on their marquee sign: "In an effort to serve you the customer better, we're increasing your payment options & choices by now closing this office & payment center down"

Um ok - I've never been accused of being the brightest bulb in the house, but I'm not that f'in' stupid! Taking options away makes things harder on us, not easier, F'tards!

Even an idiot can figure that one out! :yawn:

And so this company - xln - now only allows on-line installs, meaning you have to put your rig on-line to install & authorize their stuff.

For those of us who have built our own rigs and wish to keep them off-line completely, this takes away our right to choose, now doesn't it?

I'm quite capable of acquiring any & all updates that I want to have, and haven't missed any that I haven't wanted to.

Every single one of my VSTs, 3 DAWs & all other programs, [with the notable exception of Microsoft], allows me as a customer enough respect to use my own brain-power to decide for myself - on-line or off - my choice - simple.

I have been able to install & update absolutely everything else that I have with zero problems whatsoever - all off-line!!

As for the Electric Grand thingy- I already have a few emulations of that and more than I need in the keys department anyway, but the whole bait & switch trick when you're already up to your eyeballs in piss just sets one off even further, if you can relate? :mad:

Although it looks like it's only a freebie when you buy a higher priced bundle, which I can understand.

Last edited:
...Um, what?

Every software I own was registered online in some way. I may have missed your point.

I actually prefer the download versions...Just download from the site again...

Yeah, just to clarify jimmy, I'd be ok with downloading from the site, [as I always do elsewhere], but they won't let you, without being on-line with them - of which I would simply like the option of either way.

It would have been nice to see this from MF somewhere on their site - even just before the purchase click. I would have thought twice about it had I known.

...Um, what?

I actually prefer the download versions...Just download from the site again...

Yeah, just to clarify jimmy, I'd be ok with downloading from the site, [as I always do elsewhere], but they won't let you, without being on-line with them - of which I would simply like the option of either way.

It would have been nice to see this from MF somewhere on their site - even just before the purchase click. I would have thought twice about it had I known.

Well this is where I am confused. I download software on a separate computer. Well, unless it is something like Ilok or Steinberg that I trust.

Then I just transfer the download via flash drive to my recording computer. Are you saying that you can't register the product from outside of the computer that you are authorizing it to? Now that I think about it, I may have had to do that with Addictive Drums. Hmm... Been a year and I have no problems.

Well this is where I am confused. I download software on a separate computer. Well, unless it is something like Ilok or Steinberg that I trust.

Then I just transfer the download via flash drive to my recording computer. Are you saying that you can't register the product from outside of the computer that you are authorizing it to? Now that I think about it, I may have had to do that with Addictive Drums. Hmm... Been a year and I have no problems.
This is exactly the same set up for me. I have my DAW computer totally off-line.
Any and all internet interactions & downloads are done on the 'home' computer, then transferred to a flash drive, & finally plugged into my DAW rig, just like you do.

...Are you saying that you can't register the product from outside of the computer that you are authorizing it to?...

Yes - exactly. Not only can't I authorize it - I can't even install it to begin with - unless I'm on-line on their site at the time.

...Addictive Drums...xln.audio is the only one like that, for me at least. [I hear Apple & Avid are the same way, but I don't have any of their stuff.]

Interesting side note: I may complain once in a while, but I generally don't stir up the shit...but...MF have offered me an exchange for a similar product, which normally software, once opened is an absolute stead-fast non-returnable item, so it seems they are aware they screwed this up a bit.

It may not be worth all the bother to pay shipping for the return, but it is admirable that they would offer such a thing outside their regular rules.

Then get Steven Slate Drums 4 Plat. Then tell me how it sounds. :)

I replace the drums from AD with Steven Slate Trigger Plat anyway. Just never pulled the trigger (pun) to just go with the VSTi.

yes,MF did that w/ something I ordered. they should be specific between a boxed version & a download.
that said,I only buy things w/ boxed versions since I seem to go through computers like potato chips the last 3 years.

I'll tell you something I don't care for: the fact that companies no longer include a physical instruction book. That irks me for some reason. Just thought I'd throw that in there. LOL!

I'll tell you something I don't care for: the fact that companies no longer include a physical instruction book. That irks me for some reason. Just thought I'd throw that in there. LOL!

All about going 'green' I suppose. Not like most users bother to read the manual anyway. :RTFM: :(

I suppose the cost of printing and additional weight for shipping with printed manual would increase the cost for those who don't want a printed manual. There should be an option to pay for a hard copy manual tho. For a Cubase manual, you would have to spend $35 and take the PDF to a printing company. It would be nice if it was an option at least to have one included. Even if it was an up charge.

They use the "green" thing as an excuse to weasel out of supplying the manual! I am in agreement with you that they should at least offer the option that you mention to save their customers the trouble of having to do it themselves. Just another thing to piss me off! LOL!

They use the "green" thing as an excuse to weasel out of supplying the manual! I am in agreement with you that they should at least offer the option that you mention to save their customers the trouble of having to do it themselves. Just another thing to piss me off! LOL!

:) ......

Yeah - that really bothered me a few years ago when I realized it, but I guess I'm over it now.

It's all pretty much PDF's now.

All about going 'green' I suppose. Not like most users bother to read the manual anyway. :RTFM: :(

I suppose the cost of printing and additional weight for shipping with printed manual would increase the cost for those who don't want a printed manual. There should be an option to pay for a hard copy manual tho. For a Cubase manual, you would have to spend $35 and take the PDF to a printing company. It would be nice if it was an option at least to have one included. Even if it was an up charge.

+1

I had to print out the manual for an old Alesis Quadraverb GT.
5 lbs,136 pages, & one $50 black ink cartridge later.....:facepalm:
but.... hard copy manuals do come in handy on location for those of us w/ older phones & bad eyes.lol

Back