A noise-spotting trick plus a bonus trick from one's Nagra days

Libertinus

While getting ready for an interview at someone's home, a hotel room or so, sometimes it can be difficult to spot background noise which only will become apparent (and a problem) during mixing.

When I was doing interviews with a Nagra, we used to record just some background*, and immediately play it back in fast forward: during the FF play the air conditioning hum, wall clock tics etc became very clear - even though they were otherwise almost completely inaudible.

[ *This was not the same thing as recording a minute of just the room acoustics to add in during mixing to avoid "sound holes" in the program sound. ]

And another trick: When you go to record in someone's home - or your own - where you have to unplug the fridge/freezer to kill the noise it is making, put your CAR KEYS in the FRIDGE. You can't leave without them, and that way you don't forget re-plug the fridge & freezer to mains.

L.

Putting your car keys in the fridge only works if, when going to leave, you go "Now where did I put my car keys?" and you actually remember.

if the room you're recording in has a direct vented gas furnace, kill the pilot for the duration. The mics WILL catch that fluttery flame sound.

~dk

if the room you're recording in has a direct vented gas furnace, kill the pilot for the duration. The mics WILL catch that fluttery flame sound.

~dk
I turn off my furnace. Then 4 hours later, I wonder "why is so cold in here?"

.... the joys of getting older!

Back