A mic preamp dillema

MidoBan

Hi, i'm getting a focusrite saffire pro 24 and it has 2 mic inputs. i wanna be able to record vocals and acoustic guitar with 2 sdc's on the guitar at the same time, thats 3 mics. So i figured that now i have two options:
- Get a single channel mic preamp for vocals and use the two that i'll have on the pro 24 for the guitar sdc's.
- Get a dual channel mic preamp for the two sdc's and use one of the pro 24 pre's for the vocals.

The budget for the mic pre is 400$. Which of the options do you think is better? and do you have a recommendation for the mic preamp?

Another option is just to get the focusrite saffire pro 40 which has 8 mic pre's and use it for everything. But isn't a dedicated mic preamp is better sounding then the internal audio interface pre's, and can add a positive tube coloration to the recording?

Last edited:
I'd pick up the Saffire Pro 40 (It really makes sense to go for the 40 with the additional pre-amps) and a set of SDCs. Then work with those while you sort out what it is that you want to change with the sound you already have. Don't try to buy your way into improvement on something you haven't even heard yet...

I'd pick up the Saffire Pro 40 (It really makes sense to go for the 40 with the additional pre-amps) and a set of SDCs. Then work with those while you sort out what it is that you want to change with the sound you already have. Don't try to buy your way into improvement on something you haven't even heard yet...

Yeh, thats why i thought of the pro 40. You are actually spot on, i do tend to look for a way to improve things before i even try them.

I have the pro 40, and the pres are fine. I prefer the RNP pres, and that's two channels for $450. That's about the cheapest upgrade that would be worth the money. I also use a lot of other pres (API and Neve clones), so I almost never use the Pro 40's, but when I do they are fine and any upgrade is going to cost a lot. In fact, most of the upgrades are mostly just different flavors rather then outright upgrades. So, yeah, go for the Pro 40 and put your money into the mics.

So... any idea as to why the Pro 40 is $100 more on all other sites besides B&H? I wonder if B&H will bump their price up soon... I better grab myself a Pro 40 before they do!

Back