80's Hairband type song

IMO, you need to work from the beginning of this mix. Build up from the drums and bass. Then to the guitars and vocals.

The performance is all good, but it all sounds thin. The kick is horribly weak and the snare is thin and way loud. Not a good place to start man.

Great performances Great vocals. Remind me of Def leopard a bit.

Drums lack body and beef. Cymbals are a bit loud and washy. Bass is a bit overpowering, both in being too loud and in being boomy. For the genre, I'd like to hear a bit more guitars.

On the vocals, the background vocs are great.

Unlike Jimi, I don't think you're off to a bad start at all. You got it recorded! That's a good thing! Now you just gotta work the mix.

Oh, and once you get the drums sorted, get some 80s reverb on them!

:D

I never said he was 'off to a bad start'. Only offering a suggestion as to where I would start. I wasn't being mean.

In fact I think this will be really cool once the body of the mix is where it should be.

All good, just semantics.

:D

Point being when some things get properly sorted this could be Killer.

:thumbs up:

Thanks fellows. I have a good place to start now. I have thick skin. I can take all comments, good and not so good. lol

the apparent set back, to me, is that the vocals sound in a different place with everything else. they are all well-mixed on their own, but they don't fit together. it's like the reverb is way too different on the vox than the rest. it makes the drums and guitars seem so far back. like i'm listening to this through a closed door.

again, each instrument sounds fine, but they just aren't sitting together. i'd strip all reverbs and compressors and start over with panning and leveling. just my opinion

I thought the vocals were great.

Everything else sounded either midi, a sample, or an amp sim.

There isn't any chug to anything.

If you put this against the average 80's hair band recording? In many cases it would hold its own. Listen to Dokken's Tooth and Nail album, or that horrible Poison debut.

That song is pretty cool. For me, the biggest problem is that the vocals are thin and secondary to everything else.

BTW, I love Dokken! I have a signed George ESP Snakes and Skulls:)

Yeah, it's to the point where it is not only pumping, but sounds like the song is pulsating.
A bit too much.

Back