3 DAW's running together? One for ProTools, One for Gigastudio, and one for Reason 4?

anppilot

Never Act Like U Know All
Hey folks. I've been using 2 daw's together for years now to seperate cpu load.

I've used a PIII 500MHZ 512MB RAM for cubase 3.7r2, and a AMD 1.3GHZ 1GB RAM for gigastudio.

One of the OUTS on the emagic unitor8 of the cubase daw, to a IN on the emagic mt4 of the gigastudio daw. no need for an out of the giga daw to the cubase as i'm not sending any dumps back to the cubase daw.

My 1997 cubase 3.7 daw finally crashed and as I would expect after 11 years, and I got to bite the bullet and just make the professional move to pro tools.

so what I want to know is:

1. will my serial unitor 8 work with pro tools le & digi 003?

2. if I set up a 3rd DAW just for reason 4 to be basically used as a synth rack, can i use this in conjunction with pro tools to trigger Reason instruments via midi and assign midi channels to each reason instrument?

3. as with cubase, i dedicated midi out #8 to gigastudio only. 16 parts in giga and each part its respective midi number I.E., Part 1, midi channel 1. Part 2, midi channel 2, etc. up to 16. In cubase, on default song, i had all 16 parts layed out on unitor8 1 to 16. 1-4 were hats, 5 cymbals, 6 toms, 7 -10 snares, 11 to 15 kicks, and 16 open for regular samples.

giga daw acted as a regular hardware sampler would although it was a daw.

4. can i do this with reason? if i create a default song in reason to blank, no instruments, etc., say i take unitor7 midi out of the pro tools daw to the in #1 of another mt4 i have on the Reason daw, and as I load instruments into the default song, assign them to that midi in #1 and assign them channels?

So if I load Dr Rex, can that be channel 1, then load up another instrument and have it be on midi In #1 channel 2, etc?

Sorry if this is confusing I just want to the Reason DAW to be just that. A DAW synth workstation, I dont like the crap sequencer in Reason its pure crap. Did I say crap? Sorry to those who for gods sake actually like it.

Point is I dont want reason on my protools daw (when i build it) unless I have to. And if I have to, then I'll build a Vista Ultimate 64, Intel 3.0GHZ quad core computer with 8GB RAM !!! YES 12GHZ processing power baby !!!

I'm thinking --- no lags?

No kidding, I'm serious. Money dont matter when it comes to doing it right the first time IMHO.

And last, should I skip the digi003 and just do a rack of M-Audio powered stuff? You cant stack 003's you can only use 1. That sucks

But it could work out, say I used 4 M-audio USB "Fast Track Ultra 8R" or 4 Delta 1010's provided a "digidesign approved" motherboard with 4 pci slots

Thanks in advance

I dont believe that device is still being made. At least its not on my latest Digidesign dealer pricesheet.

So what your saying is Ebay or craigs list? Don't think they might have one lying around somewhere eh?

Cheers

Back