1st NEW drum recording with 8pre - 60's Guy's WINTER

I think the new vesrion sounds great, too. I can't say the original mix didn't, though. In fact, drum-wise, they each have their own charm. At this point, you've ogt it all down. It's just a matter of preference as to how to treat the drums, etc.....

Nice, clean recording, and the drums sound great.

One of most beautifull songs I´d listened here.
Congrats for the new converter and good production, Llarion

Randy: great guitars/(tone too), on the right places and a "legendary", excellent vocal performance.

Ciro

my songs:
www.soundclick.com/openstation

Ciro,

That is a very nice compliment, especially coming from you. You're a tremendously talented musician.

I agree. Phil has done a fantastic job!

Phil,

Here’s my 3rd and final rough mix of Winter that includes the latest guitar tracks that I recorded which I extensively edited.

I agree with Rami. The bases are covered and a solo guitar track isn’t really required.

I’ll email the last 2 tracks to you.

I think you will see that the latest two guitar tracks are very minimal, but they are worth inclusion IMHO.

I'll leave it to your judgement.

Finish mixing it and we’ll call it a finished song! ;)

Winter June 8 Mix

Thanks dude!

:)

OK, here it is. I did not use Guitar 8, Blues tictac just didn't fit. I used 9 though; turned it stereo, and added some timing fun. I also fixed the solo problem. You'll see. :)

60's guy said:
Phil,

Here’s my 3rd and final rough mix of Winter that includes the latest guitar tracks that I recorded which I extensively edited.

I agree with Rami. The bases are covered and a solo guitar track isn’t really required.

I’ll email the last 2 tracks to you.

I think you will see that the latest two guitar tracks are very minimal, but they are worth inclusion IMHO.

I'll leave it to your judgement.

Finish mixing it and we’ll call it a finished song! ;)

Winter June 8 Mix

Thanks dude!

The bass is gone in a lot of the instruments on this mix (at least for me).

Sounds like a phase problem. The other mix really sounded nice!

Decipha said:
nice llarion

i think the vocals could use a high frequency compressor to smoothen out the rasps

What makes you think there isn't any? :) :) :)

Thanks, I really love this tune, and Randy plays wonderfully and has one of the coolest, interesting voices I've worked with ever. Very emotional and evocative...

Thanks much, True and PhilGood!

For those comparing at home, compared to my June 4th mix, here's what's different:
Vox down 0.4db
Vox compressed a little tighter from 500hz-10KHz
Bass EQ up in the upper mids a touch
Oversnare track EQ edged up in upper mids, a little less reverb
Undersnare track pulled down .5dB, a little longer decay on the reverb
new guitar part added, with echo, stereo field enhancement, reverb, and several EQ tweaks.
slight stereo field changes for other guitars

Llarion said:
OK, here it is. I did not use Guitar 8, Blues tictac just didn't fit. I used 9 though; turned it stereo, and added some timing fun. I also fixed the solo problem. You'll see. :)

Phil,

Before I even listened to this latest mix I suspected that you would grab that particular section of acoustic guitar and paste it in here and there. ;)

I'm extremely satisfied with the end result and I can't possibly say enough to thank you for the musical talent you brought to the table in addition to the time you have spent mixing and listening to this over and over and over and over....... ;)

When you have the time....email the wave file of this mix.

Well, no, because that mix didn't pass the car test. MAN, was the snare strident in the upper mids... I took the other suggestions you solicited, and came up with a MUCH more linear sound. I pulled back the reverb on the drums and your voice, nudged you higher in the mix, rolled the highs off the overhead and hats; rolled some lows off the bass and kick, and changed the soundfield so that the guitar solo doesn't fight with the Rhodes. (turns out they were right on top of each other! I hadn't noticed...) I also put a little bottom in the Rhodes and nudged it up a hair.

I think we can call it a wrap, since neither Mr. Lawler nor Rami wanted to fill the other section with a solo... ;)

Just listening to the drums, they sound good, but the sidestick is gone to my ears now.

I find the vocals might be a little too big and/or loud for this kind of tune. It's a very intimite tune. 60's Guy is almost talking to us like he's confiding in us. I think it can use less reverb. Just the way I hear it.

Having said that, remember that I have been accused of mixing my vocals way too dry, so it might just be me.

RAMI said:
Just listening to the drums, they sound good, but the sidestick is gone to my ears now.

I find the vocals might be a little too big and/or loud for this kind of tune. It's a very intimite tune. 60's Guy is almost talking to us like he's confiding in us. I think it can use less reverb. Just the way I hear it.

Having said that, remember that I have been accused of mixing my vocals way too dry, so it might just be me.

Less? Man, I cut it by about 60% already, you parched, Utah-on-Sunday mixin' bastahd, ya.. :)

I'd pulled them back in the past few mixes, but most of the opinions I've been getting were that it should be up more. (we're talking about a 1dB swing here; but it makes a huge difference for some reason).

Thanks for checking back in... Can't convince you to cut a solo, huh? ;)

Llarion said:
Less? Man, I cut it by about 60% already, you parched, Utah-on-Sunday mixin' bastahd, ya.. :)

I'd pulled them back in the past few mixes, but most of the opinions I've been getting were that it should be up more. (we're talking about a 1dB swing here; but it makes a huge difference for some reason).

Thanks for checking back in... Can't convince you to cut a solo, huh? ;)
Don't trust my ears on much, man. I'm half-deaf. I swear it.

As far as a solo.....Did I miss something in this thread??? What kind of solo you talking?

About four times in the thread, I floated the idea that you or Mr. Lawler might want to join in the fun with a solo.. At this point, the section from 4:00 to 4:40 is where the hole is. From you, I was thinking a heavily compressed, L.A. kind of sounding thing, think Toto. Or, from Lawler, classical guitar. :)

From post #1:

"It needs a few solos. I'd like Mr. Lawler and Rami to pay special close attention here. If either of you would like to contribute a solo, talk to 60s and Yousend me a high bandwidth file.... "

I'm really sorry missed that...all 4 times. :eek

I'll definitely check it our. I hope it's like Major or Minor...I don't know if I can handle any "Slurred 7" keys or anything...:D :D :D

Llarion said:
Well, no, because that mix didn't pass the car test. MAN, was the snare strident in the upper mids... I took the other suggestions you solicited, and came up with a MUCH more linear sound. I pulled back the reverb on the drums and your voice, nudged you higher in the mix, rolled the highs off the overhead and hats; rolled some lows off the bass and kick, and changed the soundfield so that the guitar solo doesn't fight with the Rhodes. (turns out they were right on top of each other! I hadn't noticed...) I also put a little bottom in the Rhodes and nudged it up a hair.

I think we can call it a wrap, since neither Mr. Lawler nor Rami wanted to fill the other section with a solo... ;)
This mix definitely passed my car test, Phil. I'm hearing things much clearer now.

Unless Rami decides to add to it, let's wrap it up.

I would LOVE to try and add something. It might take me a few days to get it to you, so if you want to consider this finished until I get you something.

Did you want something over the whole section? Or did you want Tim (or someone else) to do the first 20 seconds and have me come in on the pick up at 4:19?

And if you can give me the chord progression, that would be great. Though I can probably get that pretty quick.

(60's Guy...Just got your e-mail, buddy...I'll send you all you need later today, brother...thanx alot)

Back