1988 Aktivator

queepy

aka Variaxman
Been a long time, snowed in today so decided to revisit some of my long forgotten 1/2 finished projects. This one is a cover of Steve Hillages "1988 Aktivator" Don't like the pan thing on intro guitar will probably be taking that out. Any thoughts nits, dis, or nays are welcome.

MP3 Player SoundClick

The reverb/delay on the verse vocals muddies the delivery which, at the rate this song is sung, only lends to a lot of "what did he say?" moments when listening.

Is there a bass guitar? I don't hear it.

Lead section is nicely executed.

Drums could use some punch, maybe a compressor across the entire drum track just to bring it forward a touch.

The reverb/delay on the verse vocals muddies the delivery which, at the rate this song is sung, only lends to a lot of "what did he say?" moments when listening.

Is there a bass guitar? I don't hear it.

Lead section is nicely executed.

Drums could use some punch, maybe a compressor across the entire drum track just to bring it forward a touch.

Thanks for listening pinky, agree about the vocals, will address it...the original is sung quite fast and also is hard to make out lyrics, especially during the verse....will address the bass and drums as well...

Hey queepy!

I liked this one. I don't mind the fact that I can't always understand the lyrics. Frankly, I don't know this Steve guy and don't so much care what he has to say. :) I thought the vocals on the chorus were pretty clear and sounded good. Guitars sounded awesome to me.

The kit, in particular the kick and snare, could come up some...OHs seem fine already - a bit too much now with the kick and snare so low, but maybe just right if you brought those up?

Agree with what's already been said. Like the performance. Decent skills, man. As a former bassist though, I really did miss the bass line. But who listens to bass players.

The kit, in particular the kick and snare, could come up some...OHs seem fine already - a bit too much now with the kick and snare so low, but maybe just right if you brought those up?

This is exactly what I heard as well, and thought adding compression across the whole drum mix would help bring out some drum elements being buried in the mix. Consequently, the cymbals would likely get squashed a bit since they're loudest and compression would be leveling everything to about the same intensity.

Hey queepy!

I liked this one. I don't mind the fact that I can't always understand the lyrics. Frankly, I don't know this Steve guy and don't so much care what he has to say. :) I thought the vocals on the chorus were pretty clear and sounded good. Guitars sounded awesome to me.

Hey mr heatmiser ...long time! thanks for listening, I agreed with all your comments. I posted this 1st mix with some burnt ears after doing the guitar solo, which is ill advised , but was just excited to actually be recording something again....spent a bit of time on it today and addressed the verse vocals, and drums, trying to get them in a better place overall...will post a link to mix at bottom of thread.

Agree with what's already been said. Like the performance. Decent skills, man. As a former bassist though, I really did miss the bass line. But who listens to bass players.
Thanks BroKen_H yeah Bass is way lacking...I didn't really play that great a bass line...the original is kinda punkish....tried to bring a little more bass to my newest mix, will post at bottom of thread, thanks for the feedback!

This is exactly what I heard as well, and thought adding compression across the whole drum mix would help bring out some drum elements being buried in the mix. Consequently, the cymbals would likely get squashed a bit since they're loudest and compression would be leveling everything to about the same intensity.

I did try a tiny bit of compression on the drum track, they are drum loops so its hard to address individual components of the frum sound like cymbals, snare etc... think I have the drums in a little better place..

oh man...love this!!!! :D got to meet Daevid Allen a few years back when Gong played a small venue here in Pontiac Michigan of all places...one of the greatest shows I have ever seen, guitar player with them at that time , Steffi Sharpstrings was amazing!

Hillage punked. Interesting. The riif part of the chorus reminds me of Radio Birdman.
GONG - Mr Allen is one weirdoid Australian.
I like the version. the bass seems a little hyper pumped in h/phones.
I enjoy the fruitloops meet the Gamma ray man solo!

The kick drum does sound a bit pumpy now. Does the compressor have multiband? I'd assign less priority to the lowest frequencies, or put an EQ just before the compressor to control the kick's presence.

Still don't think I hear a bass guitar.

Hillage punked. Interesting. The riif part of the chorus reminds me of Radio Birdman.
GONG - Mr Allen is one weirdoid Australian.
I like the version. the bass seems a little hyper pumped in h/phones.
I enjoy the fruitloops meet the Gamma ray man solo!
Hey ray!! Thanks! Have to look up radio birdman, have heard the name ,but not familiar with their music.I fooked up the low end kick good...will fix, thanks for checking it!

The kick drum does sound a bit pumpy now. Does t

compressor have multiband? I'd assign less priority to the lowest frequencies, or put an EQ just before the compressor to control the kick's presence.

Still don't think I hear a bass guitar.

Thanks for re listen pinky, yeah over compensated on trying to get drums up in mix, will back compression down....as far as bass guitar, I'm struggling, might just re track it....it is a rik 4001 and I'm playing it pretty aggressively, back pickup with a basspick, so it is kinda just getting washed up in the guitars iI think...

Nice to see you around again queepy.

I think the mix is generally okay, but like others have mentioned, the bass gtr is lacking any clear punch or presence, and the kick is thumpy and pumpy. The snare seems very thin next to so much kick thud going on with it. Guitars are pretty rip roaring good and the vocals seem okay to me.

Back