1972 SG Pro Value?

Supercreep

Lizard People
Guy has one, stock, in very good condition.

He wants to trade it for my 2008 us deluxe strat. The strat is nice, but I don't love it.

Thoughts?

We are going to meet saturday and I'll have a chance to play it.

It's tricky researching pre-1977 gibsons. It seems legit.

Anybody else? I think I have researched the guitar enough to determine if any repairs have been made (that wouldn't have cost more than the guitar is worth) or if any original parts are missing.

I think the resale value is higher on the SG than the Deluxe.

Gonna meet him Saturday, and I want to hear the bad. I am aware this isn't the most sought-after SG, but I definitely want to use it, and want to know what to look for that might cause me issues with playability, intonation, and tuning.

A Strat for an SG...is that even something to think about? :D ;)

I know there's lots of love for Strats out there, just not any from me. I always loved their look, but hated their prickly tone...

...but an SG (and one of that vintage)....that's both kick-ass look-n-tone.
Very cool.

Yeah an SG is cooler than Strat any day.

Besides, don't those SGs have P-90s? If so, that just ups the awesome.

The 72 SG Pro had P90s and a Gibson Bigsby-style tremoloe. If its in good shape, value would be about $800-900. Look for repairs and p-up replacements. 72 SGs were cheap, not sure about the Pro, but the Standard sold for $325 new (with case), my guitar buddy got one at the same time I bought a Tele (for $280!).

I really love SGs. I've only owned one (also has 2 P90's), but I've played many over the years and always read about them and study ebay listings. I guess I'm an avid SG enthusiast...

I've owned a couple of strats over the years. In general, I'm not as huge fan, and am not familiar with the deluxe, but...

I'm not sure I'd make that trade. Check it our by all means, but I think your strat model is pretty nice relative to other strats, while the '72 pro SG is not a great model compared with SGs as a whole.

Aesthetically, I just think they look kinda cheap...it's gonna have those two small pickgaurds, dot inlays, probably no neck binding, a huge bigsby and the body isn't sculpted like the classic SGs most are familiar with. The horns are just cut at a 90 degree angle which looks wrong to me anyway.

I don't know. If it plays and sounds nice, it's probably worth it, by in my opinion, the only thing that SG probably has over your strat is its age.

SG's are the most 'won't stay in tune' guitars ever.
They do look great though and play great too. But make no mistake ....... they don't stay in tune for shit.
And I know muttley agrees with this one too.

I'm told some newer ones have a maple neck that helps with that but an old one like that ..... just expect to tune it a lot.

Yep, doesn't stay in tune as well as some of my guitars but I probably enjoy playing it more than any other, plus it looks fantastic and consequently makes me more attractive to members of the opposite sex ;-) If it's a genuine instrument and you like how it feels and plays, I'm sure you'll get many hours of pleasure playing it. Good luck with your deal.

Tim

SG1.jpg

It does have neck binding (or it should, anyway - if it doesn't have double binding it means a fret job or worse). It has p90s, and a tremolo that nobody ever used ever.

Steve and I are going to play it in the studio on our amps and see what shakes out. I'm not hell-bent on the trade. I'm going to build a partscaster anyway, so the strat i have isn't going to get much love either way.

I already have a pretty nice SG.

Back