16 tracks for a Yamaha AW4416

GABritton

I'm purchasing a MY8-AD card for my AW4416 to take it to 16 tracks. The card has 8 balanced in/outs. . I'm wondering if the pre's are going to be enough....it'll probably be handling all dynamic mics, no condensers. I think I've seen some people use an outboard mixer w/ direct outs for each track, but I don't need to buy another mixer if I don't HAVE to.

Has anyone installed one of these cards on their AW4416??

on the yamaha my8-ad card, there are no preamps built in. It's just line inputs. You need to purchase external preamps to plug into the 1/4" inputs on the yamaha my8-ad card. That's why you hear of people hooking up external mixers to these inputs. I have the yamaha my8-ad24 card (no longer manufactured) which is the same as the my8-ad except for 24-bit vs. 20-bit conversion.

Thanks Turner,
I found an 8 channel pre amp like the SM Audio PR8MKII. Anybody tried hooking one of these up to the AW4416? I't not a mixer, but it is a pre-amp, which is what I really need.

Are there any other solutions to take the AW4416 to 16 tracks?

you might also look into the adat card they make for the aw4416. It will give you 8 channels of inputs if you connect it to a 8 channel preamp with adat outputs such as presonus digimax lt or behringer ada8000.

About the sm-audio product. You can definatly use it to hook up to the my8-ad card. I have heard that some of sm audio stuff is not good though.

I don’t own a behringer ada8000 but it seems by the behringer manual you can hook it up either way. For just starting out, I would only hook the ada8000 adat output to the my8-at card input with one adat cable and you will get the 8 channels of preamps into the aw4416 recorder. If you needed to send 8 ouputs out of the aw4416 via the my8-at output into the ada8000 adat input (for whatever reasons) then buy another adat cable and a bnc (word clock) cable and you will be good to go.

Also I re-read your first post and noticed that you said the my8-ad card will give you 8 inputs and 8 outputs. It will not. It’s only going to give you 8 ~¼” line inputs and no outputs.

It just depends on what you are looking for. If you need 8 preamp channels on a budget get the behringer ada8000, yamaha my8-at card, and one adat cable. If you are wanting to get a collection of different preamps for flavor or a mixer buy the my8-ad card.

Thganks for the help Turner....I will probably do the ADAT thing. It'll be easier to deal with running one ADAT cable rather than having to run 8 TRS cables.

Back