1 'higher' quality preamp to replace UA610 and Focusrite ISA One?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my UA Solo610 and Focusrite ISA One digital with one 'higher quality' preamp. I know this can be pretty subjective as to what really is a 'higher' quality preamp.

To be honest, I've been pretty happy with the 610 and ISA for general tracking duties and the main reason I would like to sell these for one pre is because I am trying to streamline my setup. I would like something rackmountable and preferably 1u with a DI input as I will be mainly using the pre for bass, guitars and occasional vocals. The 610 and ISA both have the mains switch on the back and this can be a little awkward due to poor positioning due to minimal space.

If I were to replace these pres (which I'm not entirely sure if I will) I would like something that's at least as good but preferably better such as lower noise for ribbons etc.

I also own a Focusrite Liquid Channel which I use as my main vocal channel strip and use the 610 and ISA for their di's on bass and guitars and occasional vocals.

What would you recommend as a possible replacement/upgrade for the 610 and ISA One? I would only need one channel but two would be fine.

I really like my Vintech X73i. The eq can really bring life to anything. Though really easy to over-do if not careful... Really good as DI in front of amp sims, great for vocals. A bit expensive, but find it worth the money myself.

The Solo 610 has a sound. If you get a different pre you will be getting a different sound. For me that would be the bigger consideration than if it mount in a rack or not. I just discovered that the Solo 610 utterly transforms the AT4050 that I thought I knew so well. It takes that brittle edge off and give me a new sonic texture to add to my palette.

Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah the 610 does take off the brittle edge of certain mics a little and I wouldn't want to lose that. I would like something that does a similar job to the 610 but with less noise and something really transparent for the other pre?

I've considered the A-Designs 500HR rack and put in a really decent colored pre with lots of mojo that takes off the brittle high frequency of certain mics aswell as a really transparent pre.

Or maybe get a Grace M101 and Great River ME1-NV or something similar but more high end?

This is just my opinion; I have found (in my limited experience) that tube preamps can give something special in some situations. I have used the 2-610, and it added character to bass guitar, but it seemed to mud up heavy guitars. Some times, vocals were best with it. Most times though, I have preferred a clean, solid state pre.

Most 'Neve' clones seem to give a better representation of the source. I myself, would keep your 610, and go to one of the 1073 clones for your 'clean' tracking. There is much to gain, by having multiple preamps to choose from.

Again, just my opinion.

:)

I'm kicking the tires on the 610 now. Fuller and more body than my apogee. I've got the Neve 5017 arrving next week. I can't afford both
so one will need be returned. Have you tried or considered the Neve stuff.

Side not. On my 610 I have to set my level to 8+ to get any volume for tracking and my headphone mix up high.
I'm bypassing my Apogee Pre in the Duet so maybe I need to change my line input to the another option. Anyone not
getting enough level with the 610.

Back