“29 (Longest February)” - New original tune - Alternate Rock/Old School Soft Punk

Hey HR folks! I wrote these lyrics in the depths of winter…
29 (Longest February)…’cause leap year made winter EVEN LONGER this year, get it?! Ok, yeah! Anyways…

I just got a chance to write and record the music yesterday. It’s the old “long winter, moving into spring” motif. Some familiar “classic” chord progressions in there but I tried to make them my own. Any mixing input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Lyrics:

29 (Longest February)

I can see my breath
But I can’t help you feel
You’re never waking up
Longest February

Darkest kind of nights
No cars are driving by
No headlights on the walls
Longest February

And only time will tell
As we count to 29
Let’s break this Winter’s spell
Like the time before this time

And with a pen and lines
And spots inside my eyes
We’ll connect the dots
Play hangman in the Fall

And letters make the Spring
We can speak & spell
July will burn my face
But not February

And only time will tell
As we count to 29
Let’s break this Winter’s spell
Like the time before this time

It’s time to get this right
And this time we’ll get it wrong

View attachment 29 (Longest February).mp3

Last edited:
catchy vocal melody. Didnt have a problem with the mix. My only nit was the lyric longest February and not specifically that lyric bit where it is its just awkward phrasing wise Also, Id cut out the drum intro and just have it come right in. Its typical and getting right into the vocal serves this song better.

catchy vocal melody. Didnt have a problem with the mix. My only nit was the lyric longest February and not specifically that lyric bit where it is its just awkward phrasing wise Also, Id cut out the drum intro and just have it come right in. Its typical and getting right into the vocal serves this song better.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I also thought it was a bit awkward, I tried a couple other things and thought “oh well” and went with it!

The drum machine at the beginning was just there to record my scratch tracks…to later record real drums over. Then I got so used to it being there I left it as a little “count in”, but you’re probably right. Though I’m definitely no opposed to awkward! Maybe I’ll distort and compress/crush it!

Last edited:
I'm probably reading a lot into this lol... BUT I LIKE IT! ;)
Cool pseudo grunge feel and laid back VOX.
That’s funny, I looked up 29 and there are several meanings out there I’d never heard of. In fact, I didn’t know it had any meaning other than, well a number. Fortunately nothing too crazy! Not sure which you’re alluding to!

One was “a moderator might be watching”. My favorite was: 2.9 is less than 3….get it… <3 like a heart to say I love you... So cute, lol!

Back