Moving..

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Moving to a new place next week. From this (less than a) studio to a 1BR, so I'll have at least double the space and maybe a lot more privacy
as far as studio noise goes - going and coming.

I hadn't expected to move this soon but the opportunity presented itself and I jumped.

I've been running all over from place to place setting up new accounts, transferring others, changing addresses.. vacuuming the cash
out of my bank account.. you know, the usual. I don't have time to line up help for the move so I'll be a lone wolf there - good thing
the new place has an elevator.

I'm goin' freakin' crazy, man! I hate moving!!!

[bzzzt!]...... we now return you to our regularly scheduled program...

I hate moving, so much. 2008 I finally bought a house, specifically, built a house. I had it built by the subdivisions builder but had some custom touches done especially for recording(left out one bedroom to create large recording area). It still took me almost 4 years to get everything finally setup the way I want and while it's far from perfect, for a home studio it works for me. I had two boxes of just cables when I moved! If I ever have to do it again I'm either going to pay somebody else or just sell everything and start over! Hope I don't have to either though.

From 2002-2010, I moved a total of 8 times; and that includes 5 years in downtown Chicago. It was nuts. So glad to be parked in one place for awhile. Packing up and worrying about boxes and setting up cable and electricity seemed like an annual routine... and I don't miss it. :)

I didn't start recording until 2013, but I've made sure to pick a place with proper recording/mixing capabilities. The current place, for example, has a very large walk-in closet in the office for vocals.

Make sure to post pics in the "see my studio" thread, once you're set up.

Kind of the same story. When my wife and I were students, we tended to move every time the lease was up, so yearly. From one apartment to another, once a duplex, once a bungalow. That went on for years. No idea why, just looking for something new and better. We always moved ourselves too. Fortunately she is athletic and tall. Now were are older and have more stuff. There will be no more lifting and carrying boxes and furniture, thank you. We will hire people to do that. There will be at least one more move when we retire, downsize, and get the hell out of Illinois for some place with conservative government and no state income tax. My wife will inherit a house in Texas where we come from originally, but I doubt we could take the heat anymore and property taxes in Austin are insane. So that will likely go on the block.

Kind of the same story. When my wife and I were students, we tended to move every time the lease was up, so yearly. From one apartment to another, once a duplex, once a bungalow. That went on for years. No idea why, just looking for something new and better. We always moved ourselves too. Fortunately she is athletic and tall. Now were are older and have more stuff. There will be no more lifting and carrying boxes and furniture, thank you. We will hire people to do that. There will be at least one more move when we retire, downsize, and get the hell out of Illinois for some place with conservative government and no state income tax. My wife will inherit a house in Texas where we come from originally, but I doubt we could take the heat anymore and property taxes in Austin are insane. So that will likely go on the block.

I am in Houston and we all talk about retiring to the Hill Country where property is cheap and the weather isn't as insane.

Look up toward Marble Falls maybe. Nice area if you have an independent income. My mom grew up there. She lives outside Houston now. Unliveable there IMO.

I hate moving, so much... If I ever have to do it again I'm either going to pay somebody else or just sell everything and start over! Hope I don't have to either though.

Believe it or not, that's what I've always done in the past - left everything behind, thrown away, given away.. except my guitars whenever I had them. I'd take all my important documents, my guitars, my car/truck, and the clothes on my back. I don't have much to begin with this time around - one small box van should get it all in one load. I may just leave my bed behind and skip the van.

and property taxes in Austin are insane.

Ugh!! Tell me about it. :(

I am in Houston and we all talk about retiring to the Hill Country where property is cheap and the weather isn't as insane.
Property isn't cheap there anymore. We were thinking of moving to the hill country, too... get away from the Austin suburbs, but it just isn't doable. At least not to find a home with no neighbors close by. And I work from home so I need a good internet connection, which is iffy out there.

Ugh!! Tell me about it. :(

Property isn't cheap there anymore.

LOL - that's not expensive! (I've deduced via Google that Hill Country = Hillsboro-ish?)

The 58 sq m (multiply by 10 for sq ft) one bedroom one bathroom apartment across the hallway from me is on the market for $720,000 - and people are inspecting it and having serious conversations... it won't get that, but it'll get close. THAT'S expensive...

#cue Aussie dollar jokes, but it's still half a mill in $US.:eek:

LOL - that's not expensive! (I've deduced via Google that Hill Country = Hillsboro-ish?)

The 58 sq m (multiply by 10 for sq ft) one bedroom one bathroom apartment across the hallway from me is on the market for $720,000 - and people are inspecting it and having serious conversations... it won't get that, but it'll get close. THAT'S expensive...

You're miking amps in an apartment?

You can find silly prices like that in a some metropolitan areas here, San Francisco being one example. It's not that bad in Chicago, although if you absolutely must live right downtown, you'll pay the the dubious privilege.

However the issue for me is not housing prices but property taxes. I'm paying more than a month's income in annual property taxes on a modest, 3 bedroom 2 bath house in a working class suburban neighborhood. The market value of my house has not gone up significantly since the housing bubble collapsed a decade ago, but the county "appraised value" and with it my property taxes have gone up every year. People are leaving this state at the rate of 30,000 per year, and we cannot wait to join them. We will go somewhere that does not treat property owners like galley slaves whose job is to shut up and row, while municipal, county and state government are run like tribal chieftaincies.

I read Florida's property tax rate can be between .54% to 1.33% annually. There's still a lot of open space to be had at reasonable prices here.

You're miking amps in an apartment?

You can find silly prices like that in a some metropolitan areas here, San Francisco being one example. It's not that bad in Chicago, although if you absolutely must live right downtown, you'll pay the the dubious privilege.

However the issue for me is not housing prices but property taxes. I'm paying more than a month's income in annual property taxes on a modest, 3 bedroom 2 bath house in a working class suburban neighborhood. The market value of my house has not gone up significantly since the housing bubble collapsed a decade ago, but the county "appraised value" and with it my property taxes have gone up every year. People are leaving this state at the rate of 30,000 per year, and we cannot wait to join them. We will go somewhere that does not treat property owners like galley slaves whose job is to shut up and row, while municipal, county and state government are run like tribal chieftaincies.

Not since I got a Kemper... :eek:

We don't have "property taxes" as such on property owned as your actual home - local council rates - just paid mine - $1200 for the year. That's it. No other costs. Can be a different story on investment property, depending upon value. I'm hoping one day to capitalise on the extreme values here in Sydney to get somewhere else, but for now I have to keep working, and values are going in the wrong direction... :(

I have my eye on nice big houses on acre + blocks back in the home state in a beautiful location with ready access to beaches and mountains* - just have to convince the GF to come with - which I could swap my apartment for, with change hopefully.

*What passes for mountains in Australia, anyway. It's a bit flat here...

I read Florida's property tax rate can be between .54% to 1.33% annually. There's still a lot of open space to be had at reasonable prices here.

I spent a little time outside Jacksonville and really liked the area even though it's being built up.

Nah, the Hill Country is west of Austin, TX. It was really cheap but getting expensive now. Austin used to be a cheap place to live, but it is getting expensive. Too many californians moving here. Still a great place to live and play music. :)

If I remember correctly, you live in or near downtown Sydney. I can imagine how expensive that would be.

We were looking to be in the Fredricksburg to Johnsonville area, maybe.

Yeah, we do love it out that way. A lot of wineries opening up there. We just got invited to a product release party at one winery. That'll be fun.

And I think you mean Johnson City. That's where Texas RR1 is, the road sign in my profile pic. :D

Look up toward Marble Falls maybe. Nice area if you have an independent income. My mom grew up there. She lives outside Houston now. Unliveable there IMO.

I have good friends moved there and his parents retired with the house on the edge of the lake, their own dock.
My friends had a tiny house at first on land, then he added a huge garage he converted to a music place and even built a guest house in the large garage/warehouse......then added a pool in the backyard....he worked out of the house and buisness boomed, his wife travelled around Austin as a Speech recovery something with cancer people and car wrecks and strokes...etc,,,

We took the kids there from Dallas several times and it was always a drag to go back to Dallas and the cement city of nothing.
Marble Falls was far enough from Austin but close enough to get there without much drive.

lol....I remember sitting on the back patio by the pool....in the morning....coffee and cigarette....and one truck went by, in like 45 minutes of complete silence.... and my buddy said "theres that g-dang noisy truck".....
it was funny because in Dallas/FW its like constant 8 million people tailgating each other and road rage and pissed off traffic jams with constant road construction, constantly for the past 35yrs or more...

last I was down in the Hill Country 10yrs ago the prices were going up and up and up...

they had a few acres which is huge amount of land, I always thought it was awesome there. The lakes close by, Austin close by, but yet it had a real private vibe..at least it did back then.

I agree, great place.

I have good friends moved there and his parents retired with the house on the edge of the lake, their own dock.
My friends had a tiny house at first on land, then he added a huge garage he converted to a music place and even built a guest house in the large garage/warehouse......then added a pool in the backyard....he worked out of the house and buisness boomed, his wife travelled around Austin as a Speech recovery something with cancer people and car wrecks and strokes...etc,,,

We took the kids there from Dallas several times and it was always a drag to go back to Dallas and the cement city of nothing.
Marble Falls was far enough from Austin but close enough to get there without much drive.

lol....I remember sitting on the back patio by the pool....in the morning....coffee and cigarette....and one truck went by, in like 45 minutes of complete silence.... and my buddy said "theres that g-dang noisy truck".....
it was funny because in Dallas/FW its like constant 8 million people tailgating each other and road rage and pissed off traffic jams with constant road construction, constantly for the past 35yrs or more...

last I was down in the Hill Country 10yrs ago the prices were going up and up and up...

they had a few acres which is huge amount of land, I always thought it was awesome there. The lakes close by, Austin close by, but yet it had a real private vibe..at least it did back then.

I agree, great place.

Wow, cool. We made frequent driving trips back to Marble Falls when I was a kid to visit my grandparents. They lived first in a country house out in a cow pasture, then a crumbling 1890s house on Avenue M in town. The country house was the most fun! We went out exploring the woods and confronting the cattle that ranged over the place. Learned to fire a gun for the first time, a .22 rifle that my dad bought as a teenager, and which I now own. We shot from the front porch of the house at tin cans on the fence posts out by the road. Not much danger of hitting any cars. ;)

Fun memories of Marble Falls. My grandfather worked a lot of jobs around there, farming during the Depression then going to work as a dynamite guy on Granite Mountain. Lost his hearing and eventually his job a few months shy of retirement. His entire life he was an inveterate deer hunter. I have his rifle too.

Back