and whats the SMALLEST active monitor you've used?

earworm

i got a little "space issue", i got two cars but no truck, and i can only drive one car at the time, so when i do PA's i always need other people to help me "carry" my gear, and in january i'll need two little monitors,
nothing fancy, its for Hiphop live gigs (for small clubs that contain MAX 300 people), so i assume that two 200W rms speakers might even do!

what i'm looking for is something small, so it can fit in my car (together with all the rest of my equipment...) but i'm affraid most monitors are the same size, but i do think that they don't have to be super high quality,
cause on my last gig i used a CRAPPY amp+speaker that the band uses for rehearsals, and IT WORKED

so what are your experiences with small, cheap monitors, what brands/types do you like or hate, and what do u think about the fact that i'm going for a crappy monitoring-setup to start with (so i can invest more in my FOH)
....and how many people use passive monitors...i think active is so much easier here , no?

thanks !

Yorkville NX250 are pretty good, the little Mackies sound nice, K2 and FBT are good, though a bit more, for actives. Don't have a lot of experience with inexpensive small passives, except Peavey 112s with the Black Widow, those things are great. I use passive Nexo PS8 for small gigs, 4 tiny speakers and a 4 space rack. I'd rather have PS10, but... These are not cheap, by the way.

Actives are a good choice when tight on space, saves a lot of weight and racks.

The little Mackie 350's sound surprisingly good. The 450's are more powerful and have more low end to them, but in my opinion, the 350's actually sound much better. They aren't too light, but are fairly small.

I use actives. Sometimes I wish I had passives, but most of the time I'm happy with 'em. I have the Peavey 112PMs, which aren't particularly light or small (50lbs for the active unit). Be careful as I discovered on disassembling mine that the woofers don't seem to be Black Widows. At least they are not the BWs I remember from my bass rig in the '80s. The coil on the things are pretty tiny, and I give it low marks for overall quality and sound. Also the horn tweeter is complete crap, and there is no crossover. Oddly enough, the internal power amp and EQ section are fine.

I've upgraded the parts in mine, which seemed less of a hassle than trading in, but if I was looking for small actives at this point I'd look elsewhere.

Back