Speakon

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I just bought a Crown XLS 402 amp. I want to use it to power a pair of Yamaha 15" speakers that have 1/4" inputs. The outs on the amp are either banana or speakon. I already have reasonably long and thick 1/4" cables. So I am thinking I should probably get a speakon->1/4" adapter. But I don't know how speakon works. Are there "male" and "female" ends? I don't want to blow money on an adapter that doesn't work. Any help?

I pretty much use the adapters only if I have to. Get two Speakon connectors and replace the 1/4" jacks. Fewer connections=less hassles.
Two connectors will also be less expensive than two adapters.

If you insist on using adapters, get ones with a length of cable in them like the CBI one below. This takes strain off the connections and connectors at the amp.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=speakon+adapter&cat=2349

If you plug a 1/4" cable into the Neutrik adapter, you have a 5 or 6" thing sticking out the back of your amp, waiting to be snapped off. :mad:

Wiring Speakons:

They come in two basic flavors: One channel and two channel (two pole and four pole). Each channel has two connections. So you have 1+/- and 2+/- in a two-channel connector, and 1+/- in a one channel connector.

Your amp will say on the back which channel the output connector uses. Your adapter or connector needs to be wired the same.

The Neutrik adapter is a four-pole. It can hook to any amp or speaker.

Your Crown uses 1+/- on it's Speakon outputs. That two-pole CBI adapter is most likely 1+/-, as that is the most common.

I'll agree with what Boingoman said. I would advise to stay away from the two-pole speakons, though (NL2) and go only with NL4's. NL4's are much more common in pa equipment than NL2. Just use pins 1+/1-.

You can always cut one end off of your 1/4 speaker cables and replace it with an NL4. That would seem to be the easiest solution. If you buy the "C" version of the NL4's (I think!), they even have screw terminals. No need for soldering. :)

My only real added advice is, buy Neutrik brand connectors. Don't try to save $1 per connector and buy the off-brands. Neutrik are much better quality connectors.

Good luck!
Stacey

Well, I called up my local music store and they said they had the speakon->1/4" adapters I was looking for. I went over there, and of course they were out. But they had banana plug->1/4" adapters with a length of wire in between the two parts, like the one you recommended boingoman. Plus they were a bit cheaper. I bought 2 of those, and they work great. Seems like a nice tight connection.

Gotta agree on not using the adapters. I've had two 1/4" to speakon adapters go out. Luckily during setup, not during the performance. I cut off the 1/4" plugs and replaced with speakons. Neutrik is the only way to go.

DD

Back