Wanted: Audio interface under £100

Cheile61

Broke / out of work musician recovering from serious health problems in need of replacement audio interface (My EMU 0404 still works, but it's becoming a hassle for me. One of the inputs is a little crackly, and I am willing to sell it pretty cheap considering this fact!)

I'm new here.. from the UK, living in Belfast, sometimes frequenting West Sussex England.., bit bewildered by all the sticky's , had a look, but don't see the harm in this post, though I hope I didn't miss anything. (Part of my health problem is a sleeping issue, lol)

So I'm aware I can buy a new 2i2 or one of these if I need, and will get the bonus of warranties + Software, but I need advise too.

I will mainly be:

1. Recording audio + Guitar
2. Using it for future podcasting / interviews
3. Experimenting and branching out into adding interesting components. I have almost no idea what. I know I want to explore electronic music when I find the time and patience, or at least mixing my acoustic work with electronic elements / gadgets. This is what stops me from just buying a basic interface, I want to know if I have future experimenting possibilities.

Quality quite important to me, won't skimp on £20 for a cheaper product if the quality is worth it. Just let me know if it's worth my hassle or should I just order a Steinberg? Looks like it'd suit me, and legit software would be handy.

I like ableton, but willing to learn Cubase if anyone thinks it would be worth it. I don't know much about Ableton as it is, but I can use it for basics.

Cheers

I've got the 2i2 and like it for the portability and nice mic pre's. However, it's missing a blend or mix knob and I find that a bit annoying. Looks like the Steinberg has one and that would be the deciding factor for me. The focusrite has a good reputation for better mic pre's, but in the real world, I don't know how much better they really are.

In the budget range you're looking at, quality is going to be about the same across all makes. Some drivers might be better than others, but no major headaches amongst the top players. So shop for the features and price that fit you the best and don't look back. When you get up to speed in recording and money allows, you can look at upgrading down the road.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Truth is I can't see myself upgrading any time soon, I'll be stuck with it, so after hearing some reviews of the Steinberg and some issues it has (clipping? recording guitar?) which is a lot of what I will be doing, I am having second thoughts..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8XAcGSRe4

Negative amazon US reviews mention some issues:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Steinberg UR22 2-Channel USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface

The guy in the review recommends this one:

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 Pro Tone Recording & Modelling Interface | DV247

He even says the UR22 is 'not even usable' for recording guitar, without adapting it.

And thanks, I'm getting there...FODMAPS diet sorting me out :P~

*EDIT* : I will be using mics to record guitar (acoustic mainly electric in future maybe) so does this make the issue with guitar recording irrelevant? I mean I have a small Yamaha amp if I want to record electric that way, but have no experience doing it.

Last edited:
Back