FS: Studer/Revox C-270 with spare heads and cards, Autolocater

dwilawyer

For sale is my Studer/Revox C-270 tape recorder. This is a ¼” 2 track professional mastering machine that plays 3.75, 7.5 and 15 IPS. This deck is very late model, Serial Number 1844. These superb units are extremely rare these days, and this one is rarer still because it comes with NOS spare heads and cards to help ensure a lifetime of enjoyment (see below). You usually do not see them in this condition, and you usually never see them offered with original manuals and spares. This deck has all the bells and whistles, and is getting harder and harder to find in such fine shape these days! This machine looks in preserved state for its age; it has a few scratches (reel related) and the normal worn areas. I believe that the last C270 that came up on EBay was in November of last year and it went for over $1,100 with no manuals, NAB hubs, accessories or spare parts whatsoever.

The difference between Revox/Studer and any other Japanese imitations is that the Studer/Revox sound is richer, with better low-end range and better overall quality of the sound. Additionally, as soon as you hit the play button and the deck almost instantaneously accelerates to 15 IPS, you know from the sound and feel that the deck is of Swiss/German design and manufacturer.

For the lucky buyer of this deck you will also receive these valuable spares and accessories: the original operators manual, the original book of schematics, spare replacement cards (bias, record, play, and eq. (all NAB)), and a brand new spare set of all 3 heads (rec, play, and erase). New pinch roller also included. All of these parts are Studer labeled, as opposed to Revox, because this deck apparently utilized the same or similar design and parts as the Studer A810. That is approximately $500.00 worth of NOS Studer brand spares and manuals I am including with this deck.

I had this machine calibrated by a certified Studer technician, and the response graph will be included in the sale. The original line level knobs will be supplied, but I currently have aftermarket knobs on the deck because I can see them better. Sorry, no NAB hubs with this deck as I need them for my Studer, however, Revox brand hubs are readily available.

All functions and lights operate properly; this deck operates at 3.5, 7.5 and 15 ips. The inputs and outputs are balanced XLR as would be expected with a professional deck of this quality. The heads and pinch roller currently mounted on the machine are in great condition, never relapped, and do not need to be replaced. Even if in the unlikely event you were able to wear out the heads after 20, 30 or even 40 years of use, you will have a brand new replacement set of heads ready to go, along with a the brand new extra pinch roller.

The Revox C-270 deck is nothing short of legendary. You can Google it and see a long list of studios that proudly list this deck in their inventory of available equipment. I have been using this deck in a non-smoking, home environment on an average about an hour a month. In other words, I need to get it to someone who can get some good use out of it as it was intended.

I am listing it here first, at a great price, to see if a fellow forum member can use this great deck. Price: Deck with all accessories, cards and heads: $1,200. If for some reason you just want the deck, no spares or accessories, the price would be $900. I am confident I can sell the spares on EBay for about $300 to $400 (the pinch roller alone goes for $70.00).

BONUS ITEM: I also have the insanely rare RS-232 unit for this deck, also known as an Autolocater. This unit is Swiss made and plugs into the back of the deck and has a 20’ cord so you can access all controls remotely, play, record, FF, rewind, AND, you can store memory points that the deck will locate automatically. I have only seen one of these autolocaters come up for sale and it was $400. The buyer of this deck can have it for $250.00

Travis

Attachments

• 41ba.jpg
    41ba.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 36
Back