SM57 transformer removal HELP

meowadishi

Ok so I am trying to remove the transformer from an old SM57 I have.

as per this mod

Shure SM57 | RecordingHacks.com

Anyways. I have been boiling it for damn near 20 minutes and the glue seems hard still. What am I doing wrong??? Anybody else try this mod? Or run into this problem?

Thanks.

The heat gun will work better, but whatever you do, don't damage the transformer. Yes, save it. Because in a few days from now you'll be putting it back.

I don't know. I'm still considering the evidense. I liked it better than a stock 57 on snare but still prefer an MD441 all things being equil. I've been trying one out on guitar cab lately and will be A/B'ing some stuff. But I strongly agree, keep the old tranny (unless you boiled it).

The mod is more for the new 57's that seem to have a midrange bump. I have a handful of both USA and Mexico 57's, and some Unidyne III 57's, and the new 'Hencho en Mexico' ones do have a midrange bump, that is by my guess from the transformer and not the 'sloppy dies' as rumored on the RecordingHacks site. So maybe a new transformer would 'improve' it, but jeez, it's a sub-$100 microphone. It is what it is, so I just use whatever '57' I think I want.
Removing the transformer does reduce the output by at least 10dB, and for me it just sounded wimpy. Cranking up any preamp gain to compensate brought in a lot noise, so I put the transformer back, and never thought about modding a 57 again.

Ha Ha. I boiled it for an hour and got punchy. I ended taking a small flat blade screw driver and tried to break the glue apart from the walls of the case. Well I slipped and jabbed the transformer pretty good. To me it looked like I damaged it, so...like I said I was a little punchy. I ended up grabbing the transformer with the plier end of my wire strippers and started to twist and pull. The transformer which was questionably damaged is definitely damaged now. Oh well. Ill A/B them shortly and see what is what. Worst case is now I have a mic that sounds different. Ill just have to find what it works well on.

Thanks guys.

Back